• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New To Casting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubshooter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
After doing a lot of research on here and other places, I placed my order on Thursday for my casting materials and lead.

Yesterday, they arrived. Quick delivery!!!

I was so excited, I got off work at 2am last night, and I was up at 8 this morning. After my bacon and eggs breakfast, I broke off a chunk of the lead and got to going.

By 10am, I had 102 .454 lead balls ready to go out to the desert tomorrow.

Thanks for all the great advise and info on the site. It really helped out. Just another thing to enjoy about shooting these black powder guns!

Never tried my hand at casting but may give it a try in the future. Is that a damp towel that you put the freshly cast balls onto?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

What Help? These people will enable you! It goes on and on! I need to go to meeting myself. Geo. T. :haha:

My next step is to try to figure out a portable lead catcher to take with me when I go shooting so I can recycle my lead :thumbsup:

a plastic 5 gallon bucket full of sand will catch them. as you tear up the bucket just patch it with ducktape. wet ashes from the fireplace in the bucket works also and sometimes the roundball says round.

Sandy hill + a rake. (I'm mostly kidding but people really do rake out the berms at shooting ranges for lead. Its easier in some kinds of soil than others).

Casting really is pretty straightforward - you hear so much advice you think it must be hard, but it doesn't take that long to get the hang of it and the rejects just go right back into the pot so no harm done.

Didn't even think about that. Used sand traps as clearing barrels in Iraq, yet somehow didn't think about it.

As far as wet ashes, fires here in the desert aren't the best idea. But I'll try out the sand and see how it goes!

Back