• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet casting/sizing advice welcome...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@French Colonial,

"Bullet weight should match the twist rate within reason"

This is something I'm not quite familiar with. Could you elaborate? My barrel's twist rate is 1:21 I believe, so what would that mean for bullet weight?
It means it will shoot any.451” bullet you are likely to use. It’s pretty much optimized for a 400-550 grain bullet.

@French Colonial,

"Bullet weight should match the twist rate within reason"

This is something I'm not quite familiar with. Could you elaborate? My barrel's twist rate is 1:21 I believe, so what would that mean for bullet weight?
It's also worth noting that while bullet weight may be a useful parameter to judge by, it's more about the bullet length and diameter. The larger the bore the slower the twist needed to stabilize a bullet. The 40 cal bullet guns usually have a 1:16 twist.

The gun: Pedersoli .451 caliber Mortimer-Whitworth. This started me bullet casting, cuz getting the bullets from the only source I could find was a little expensive.

The bullet molds: (1) Lyman .45 cal 450 grain "volunteer" bullet. (2) Lee .452 cal 255 grain conical. Both resized with Lee .451 resizing die.

The problem: constant jamming. (2) is especially difficult. I use plenty of lube in the form of animal fat or fat/beeswax mix, and the first round is usually not a problem. The problem is the second one... and every one after that until the next full cleaning and relube. So the gun is a real pain to take target shooting. I've actually been out there with a metal rod and a hammer, smacking bullets down so I could get off a few more shots off before having to go home. Already broke one wooden rod.

I've ordered another sizing die at .449, so we'll see what putting the bullets through that does. However, at the same time I don't wanna lose accuracy. The gun shoots pretty well. Just a pain to reload. Admittedly my lead is from wheel weights. I've considered buying pure lead.

Advice welcome...

Others have really covered most of your problems.
Wheel weight bullets are going to be a real behooch to get down as you already know. For bullets around 400 gr. You can use pure lead but lead that is slightly hardened will shoot better in my opinion. When you get to 450 gr I would be using 30-1 at least.
The only bullet over 450 I've shot is the Lyman volunteer. But mine were pretty soft and weighed 480 gr if I remember right. I didn't play with hardness at the time.
The longer and heavier the bullet is the harder it should be. But don't go harder than 20-1.

I very much dislike greased bullets. I switched to paper patched bullets 17 years ago. If it were me I would start with this bullet and paper. My rifle has a slower twist. Yours might like a bit longer bullet. Mine also like the bullet wrapped and sized dry to .446". I would use 50 cal over powder wads. I use 50 cal for my 45 cal rifles. And .620" wads for my 50 cal rifles.
Lastly, don't use a hammer and metal rod on your rifle. If you have the right load you won't need to pound the bullets down.

Attachments

• 20210410_114901.jpg
    20210410_114901.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210815-233302_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210815-233302_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220226-161755_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-161755_Gallery.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
If loading the first round isn't a problem, but the second shot is a problem, it's not the alloy or bullet size.
The problem is coming from powder fouling. You may find a heavier charge burns cleaner. Might want to consider using a different lube.
Wiping between shots will definitely cure a lot of ills.
It doesn't need to be complicated, and simple 2 inch heavy flannel patch damp with a combination of Napa cutting oil and water, mixed 1 part oil 10 parts water, run it down the bore on a tight fitting brass jag.
If you think there may be a leading problem that's easily removed by soaking a heavy flannel patch in pure gum spirits of turpentine, running it back and forth a few times on a brass jag and follow with a dry patch. Then a nylon brush wet with the turpentine, followed by a dry patch. Repeat until the patches come out clean with no discoloration .

BP can be confusing when it comes to leading. I shot BPCR for a long time and used 20 to 1 lead-tin. Never had any leading and the bore was easy to clean. Then I cast some harder lead and the bore leaded fast. Sounds strange as heck because I shoot very large unmentionable revolvers with very hard bullets and never lead a bore. I go 2 to 4 years without cleaning some guns. I have also found if light loads are shot with fast powders, the harder the bullet must be and working to 30 bhn showed accuracy increaded a great deal. Now this does not work at all with BP and I use only pure lead.
I do agree that if you get leading, fine steel wool works best. I have used it for years on customer guns.

The gun: Pedersoli .451 caliber Mortimer-Whitworth. This started me bullet casting, cuz getting the bullets from the only source I could find was a little expensive.

The bullet molds: (1) Lyman .45 cal 450 grain "volunteer" bullet. (2) Lee .452 cal 255 grain conical. Both resized with Lee .451 resizing die.

The problem: constant jamming. (2) is especially difficult. I use plenty of lube in the form of animal fat or fat/beeswax mix, and the first round is usually not a problem. The problem is the second one... and every one after that until the next full cleaning and relube. So the gun is a real pain to take target shooting. I've actually been out there with a metal rod and a hammer, smacking bullets down so I could get off a few more shots off before having to go home. Already broke one wooden rod.

I've ordered another sizing die at .449, so we'll see what putting the bullets through that does. However, at the same time I don't wanna lose accuracy. The gun shoots pretty well. Just a pain to reload. Admittedly my lead is from wheel weights. I've considered buying pure lead.

Advice welcome...
Use the wheel weights for prb, not a Whitworth, minies, or revolver bullets. I had over 100 Whitworth bullets a few years ago. They were pretty soft, maybe 30:1 lead vs tin. They came from Bill Hailey's estate, but they sold.

That's your biggest problem IMHO. Next is see how rough the bore is, it may need lapping as described above.

I think once you start using roofing lead/tin your problems will disappear. WWs are much to hard for black powder, unless for prb or smoothbore bullets. I've been given minies cast from wheel weights, they are pretty much worthless until I melt them and make prb.

I've been condemned here for saying this previously but here I go again. Fine steel wool wrapped around the jag. If leading is bad you will see it in the steel wool. Keep at it until there's no more showing. No lube or "solvent".

I got this from Scheutzen competitors and BPCR shooters at my club. I have done it myself with ml guns and with a 45-70 falling block that had become leaded. It was easy to see that it cleaned up the lead and didn't do any harm to the bore.
I was taught the same thing from the Gunsmith where I apprenticed for 2 years. It truly works, maybe not so much on barrels made in the 19th century, due to soft metal.

The Pedersoli Mortimer Whitworth rifle shoots a cylindrical bullet, not a hexagonal bullet. The word 'Whitworth' refers to the match in which it is shot, not the style of rifling usually associated with the Whitworth rifle.

The Pedersoli Mortimer Whitworth rifle shoots a cylindrical bullet, not a hexagonal bullet. The word 'Whitworth' refers to the match in which it is shot, not the style of rifling usually associated with the Whitworth rifle.
Tfoley, what's the diameter and weight of the Mortimer cylindrical bullets? I have many more paper and onion patched bullets from Hailey's estate.

Tfoley, what's the diameter and weight of the Mortimer cylindrical bullets? I have many more paper and onion patched bullets from Hailey's estate.

I don't have this rifle, but I DO shoot cylindrical bullets in my hex-bored Whitworth. They are Lyman multi-groove - sized @.451 and weigh 535gr.

BTW, my name is Tac.

I don't have this rifle, but I DO shoot cylindrical bullets in my hex-bored Whitworth. They are Lyman multi-groove - sized @.451 and weigh 535gr.

BTW, my name is Tac.
Thanks Tac...I'd forgotten you're hyphenated name, Tac-driver.
I have plenty of 2 weights, I need to dig them out.

Back