• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:confused:
I just ordered some Ballistol in full liquid form to use for patching and cleaning. I prefer to use strips of patch material which have been lubed and stored before actual use. Can you do this with Ballistol?
Also what is the best way to clean with Ballistol on the range and during the end of the day cleaning before storing the rifle?
Suggestions will be much appreciated!!!!

I keep Ballistol deluted 7 to 1 in a spray bottle for cleaning and in a doctors alcohol bottle to moisten my patches. I moisten the patch just before I load. It cleans and lubricates every shot.

The best way to use Ballistol as patch lube that I've found so far, is to mix it with 5-7 parts water (depending on your gun's preference), wet the patches then let them dry out. This lets the water evaporate out and leaves just the right amount of Ballistol behind. The same Ballistol/water mix makes for great swabbing solution at the range, and a good cleaning solvent at home also. I follow the cleaning with straight Ballistol to displace any water left behind (I'll NEVER use rubbing alcohol again! LOL) and protect from rust.

I have started using Balistol at a mix of 1:10 water, so far it has made a very good bore cleaner and patch lube.
I keep some in a spray bottle and just wipe the bore with wet patches until they come out clean then wipe the bore dry with dry patches then a couple of oily patches to finish, I also clean the nipple and any other mess off with it, then wipe the area dry then oil.

Back