• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to a CVA Accura

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inchrisin

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first post after a long frustrating weekend out in the woods here in Indiana. I'm glad I didn't see any deer because I'm off target by about 6" at 100 yards. Anyway, the gun came with Williams fiber optic sights. The rear sight has a hole on the top for an Allen key. It doesn't adjust the windage. Loosening the side screw for elevation allows me to adjust both windage and elevation. I guess it'll be frustrating, but I'll go with that.

Also, I'm using 50gr pyrodex charges. I use two. I've read of a lot of people just using straight black powder measures. My buddy tells me that I can't do that because the powder will get into the breech plug hole and will clog it up after one shot. He says to stick with the pyrodex because it stays above the plug hole. Is there any truth to this?

If it did happen to get into the breech plug hole as you say, the cap would set it off and blow out the residue. By loading with a powder measure, and loose powder, you can adjust the grains more and likely get better accuracy.

Hey all,

This is my first post after a long frustrating weekend out in the woods here in Indiana. I'm glad I didn't see any deer because I'm off target by about 6" at 100 yards. Anyway, the gun came with Williams fiber optic sights. The rear sight has a hole on the top for an Allen key. It doesn't adjust the windage. Loosening the side screw for elevation allows me to adjust both windage and elevation. I guess it'll be frustrating, but I'll go with that.

Also, I'm using 50gr pyrodex charges. I use two. I've read of a lot of people just using straight black powder measures. My buddy tells me that I can't do that because the powder will get into the breech plug hole and will clog it up after one shot. He says to stick with the pyrodex because it stays above the plug hole. Is there any truth to this?
This site only covers traditional muzzleloaders up to 1866. you want the sister site for modern muzzleloaders (unmentionables as they are known on this site).
Modern Muzzleloader

The CVA Accura is apparently an inline and those are not allowed to be discussed on this site.

Pyrodex is harder to ignite than black powder.

Neither Pyrodex nor black powder will "clog up a breech plug hole."

Time to raise the BS flag especially with respect to Pyrodex pellets. Doubly so since the CVA Accura is an inline and the propellant is always above the touch hole and inlines in general are prone to getting the touch hole plugged.

Time also for the OP to be directed to the Modern Muzzle Loader Sister site to get specific responses to his questions.

This is a traditional muzzleloading site where we discuss the guns and reproduction of the guns that were made before 1865.

For a site that talks about modern in-line guns go to our sister site, Modern Muzzleloader

Here's a link to it.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/

Well, it depends on that particular gun design, but using 3fff in some inlines can cause problems. The powder can sift through the plug hole and fill the primer pocket causing a small breech explosion when you pull the trigger.
I don't like getting blasted in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back