• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new shelters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mediclimber

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a Panther Primitive Panther Pack for walk ins and one of their pyramid tents, tall 12X12 with double tipi doors and a fly. Anyone have any info/opinions on these two items?

Just my 2 cents...
Both are fine products BUT the real question "is being period correct for a certain era and location important to you?" If memory serves me correctly, pyramid tents can only be documented to the late 19th century. The pack is a modern pattern, not documentable at all, but it does look "old timey". If you just want to run in the backwoods for your own enjoyment, both may be good enough. If you are looking to walk into a juried event, neither may do. It really all depends on what you are really wanting them for. Overall, PP makes quality products.

Ninety-nine percent of the events around are "Mountain Man Rendezvous". They accept just about anything made from white canvas (including modern painters pants). :wink:

Jack Wilson said:
Ninety-nine percent of the events around are "Mountain Man Rendezvous". They accept just about anything made from white canvas (including modern painters pants). :wink:

Being in a similar situation, I try to lead by example.....

Right now I'm looking for something functional and durable. Period correctness will come in time but right now I just want to have fun.

according to panther they have found the pyramid documented from 1820 forward. wonder what the weight of that would be

mediclimber said:
Right now I'm looking for something functional and durable. Period correctness will come in time but right now I just want to have fun.

Buy a wedge tent. PC/HC for many periods and you won't need to buy twice....

Yeah, there are several references to a pyramid tent being used by mountain men. Some times you have to read between the lines- such as a tent with a center pole, etc. I think there is one or two in some of the period (mountain man) artwork. In any event 1830 ish or a bit earlier.

On the history channel they were doing a bit on the 49ers and there was a photo and in the back ground was a couple of piramid tents with a rope going to a tree limb from the top of 1 tent and the other had a tri-pod pole set up and the rope went from the tent to the tri-pod. So there is the possiblity that its use goes back to the early 1800's and it was most likely made of sail cloth. You could use a rope or 1 to 4 poles and cut limbs to stakes. In this manner it could be a quick set up pack tent.

The wife and I bought a 9X9 pyramid from Track of the Wolf. We really like it. Real easy to set up. The weight might be a bit much for a walk in camp. The nine foot center pole fits nicely in our mule team drawn wagon.

jbtusa said:
I wouldn't trust anything that you see on TV or the movies.

I once heard it said that the History Channel never let the truth get in the way of a good story...

The one on the History channel that really got the Raspberry award from me was the one about Hugh Glass as he crawled back to civilization it showed his belt with cartridge loops in circa 1820.

Back