• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"New" Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought this revolver from "No Second Place" on here. I admit that I haven't shot it yet but....
It is in beautiful condition for a gun made in January 1976 and his trigger-work is fantastic. It's loaded up with Kaido 240 conicals and Olde Eynsford ready to go tomorrow!
I recommend this man to everyone. Some folks are selling ROA's for $1,000+ these days.
1693001343181.png

I just bought this revolver from "No Second Place" on here. I admit that I haven't shot it yet but....
It is in beautiful condition for a gun made in January 1976 and his trigger-work is fantastic. It's loaded up with Kaido 240 conicals and Olde Eynsford ready to go tomorrow!
I recommend this man to everyone. Some folks are selling ROA's for $1,000+ these days.View attachment 247949

Nice!! Congratulations!!

Mike

Looking good! I picked one up a few months ago in stainless and finally had the chance to take it out to the range on Thursday!!

What a blast that was, ended up putting 75 rounds through it!

Didn’t realize until today that I have a bruise on my belly from bracing the grip against myself while ramming hahaha

Got a little slow-mo too

Attachments

• IMG_0889.MOV
    1.9 MB
  • 0060DDFA-F68A-4756-9983-7E8F21EC0055.jpeg
    0060DDFA-F68A-4756-9983-7E8F21EC0055.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I recommend this man to everyone. Some folks are selling ROA's for $1,000+ these days.View attachment 247949
You will find 15grs. Olde E. 3F W/ A .457 ball is a great match accurate load at 25yds. Corn meal filler on top of powder. Seat ball just under mouth of chambers . Top with ball grease . This is a typical match winning load. 20grs BP would be maximum for match shooting...c

Congrats on the ROA. Love them for reliability and accuracy. FWIW, I get best accuracy with about 25 grains of 3F Goex, a Gatofeo lubed wad, and a .457 ball but never tried conicals. I do have some Olde Eynsford and should try using it the next range session. No matter the charge or projectile, you are going to enjoy using the ROA.

Had to sympathize about SicklyMiles' bruised belly from bracing the revolver while ramming the load. Did that with my first C&B. That's why I use a loading stand. Easier on me and on my wife who doesn't have to hear me gripe about it.

Jeff

If anyone likes to shoot lighter loads without filler consider the slixx ram, it's an extend rammer for around 20bux. I got one and love it. I blued it to match my gun. That way I can shoot a little cheaper and still make smoke.

Attachments

• 20230919_212632.jpg
    20230919_212632.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
I have two of these from the same time period. I bought one NIB in 1975, my Dad bought one soon after.
They are shooters for sure.

Congratulations on great percussion revolver. I bought mine many years ago when an old mentor recommend the Ruger Old Army and the Thompson Center Patriot as the most accurate and must haves for black powder. I have yet to purchase a Patriot (I have heard they break easily at the tang from loading).

The Ruger Old Army is just a fine piece! I have two cylinders, one "unmentionable" cylinder and a Ruger flap holster. My children will never know what a fine revolver I have left them.

Congratulations on great percussion revolver. I bought mine many years ago when an old mentor recommend the Ruger Old Army and the Thompson Center Patriot as the most accurate and must haves for black powder. I have yet to purchase a Patriot (I have heard they break easily at the tang from loading).

The Ruger Old Army is just a fine piece! I have two cylinders, one "unmentionable" cylinder and a Ruger flap holster. My children will never know what a fine revolver I have left them.
I reinforced my Patriot with a steel rod glass bedded from the grip butt up through to the underside of the tang. They break when loaded in a loading stand is what I have read unless reinforced.
All my ROA needed was a trigger job. I have the centennial model made in 1976 as well.

Latest posts

Back