• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Remmie range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himem777

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well my new Pietta came home from Cabelas yesterday. Today I took it to the range. First thing I noticed that the grips were large compared to my Uberti. It was a big difference. The fit and finish was not as good as my old gun. The main spring was week, even to the point that it dose not slam shut if you ease the hammer in.

The instructions said to use a .451 lead ball, so thats what I used. The cylinder holes were so small that the balls were hard to get in and after loading round 10, the link to the plunger bent. I used pure lead balls. :shake:

The gun shot well and is accurtite as my old one. With all the detractors there were some good things. I like the shorter barrel. The sites were dead on. The nipples fit the number 10 caps well. Unlike my Uberti I could shoot more than 12 rounds before the hammer had to come out (to open it).

I have always used a loading press to load off the frame and it sure does make it fun to load.
Loading this way also helps to insure that fresh lube keeps getting applied to the cylinder pin.
IIRC a piece of leather or wood that's shaped like a wedge can be used as a shim to increase the mainspring tension if needed. Placing the right size shim in between the frame and the main spring should increase its tension.
Or explain the problem to Cabela's and request a replacement mainspring.
It's good to hear that your sights are right on, and that overall this new Pietta is satisfactory.
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

I thought that's simply a set screw, not a tension adjustment screw.

You can polish and bevel (more) the part on the hand the hammer has to clear. That will help the hammer slam shut when eased down and also for more kinetic energy to be transferred to the cap.

Disassemble the gun check the hammer and hammer channel for burs. Put just the hammer in the gun check to see if the hammer is rubbing or binding on anything. Some times if you over tighten the hammer screw it can bind the hammer. Last when reassemble the gun lube the hammer pivot and bolt cam with a thin coat of STP oil treatment or grease.

When I got mine, it locked up completely before I ever shot it the first time. I disassembled it an found several burrs. One was in the hammer channel, another on the hammer, and a couple of metal chips floating around in the trigger area. Once these had been filed and stoned down, the action was smooth as silk, and has worked great ever since.

Final Report: While cleaning this "gun" the fornt site fell off. So back to Cabelas it goes. I will save up to buy a Uberti from the Possible Shop. I know they can be found cheaper but they do support our forum.

I know you want to buy from the Possible Shop, but let me give you another option.

Cimarron has Uberti make up special Uberti's for them. Better fit and finish, and i'm told they also have a bit better heat treating and fit internally too. The good part is you need warranty work you do it through them instead of fooling with Uberti. They are very good too. If you just need a part they send it right out.

Normally they cost more than a regular Uberti if you buy from Cimarron. However, one of the bigger distributers of Cimarron's is Buffalo Arms. They are excellent to deal with, and sell the Cimarron guns for the regular Uberti price.

Check then out. I own 6 Cimarron Colts and love them.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the story that Cimarron gets better quality Uberti's than anyone else is an old shooter's wives' tale....probably first perpetrated by Cimarron (though I don't think they make a public claim that they get better Uberti guns now)... :grin:

I have one Uberti, a "Whitneyville Dragoon". Came from Williams Sports. A VERY well made gun...I was surprised at how nice it was. Williams has good prices too. :wink:

My Pietta Remington has a weird mainspring hiccup, in that almost all the way down, the spring just seems to "let off" at one point and there is little, if any tension near the end of the hammer fall. It appears to be a design problem, and I'm not quite sure how to fix it.

Well after seeing the new Pietta face to face. I like the Uberti. And thats saying something because my Uberti is old,do not know how old. It has few markings, I only know its a Uberti by ordeing a front site from Taylors. Their gun smith told me that only Uberti had the front sites like mine. The only markings on it are proof marks on the cylinder, "for black powder only Italy" faintly marked on the right side of the barrel(barley can be read) and 607 on the under side of the barrel where the barrel meets the frame covered by the pin and under the grip.

I have both uberti and pietta new army and the uberti is defenatly a nicer gun. The pietta had sharp burrs on many of the parts that needed to be smothed out. Both shoot great and have no problems otherwise.

Reffering back to your first post about the cylenders being so undersized that the 451 ball was hard to push in.. My Peitta appears to have near bore sized cylenders (i did and experiment to test this). I use 454 balls and they go in fairly easily with the guns loading rod. I wonder if my pietta is an older one, or if they are just inconsistant from pistol to pistol?

It probably has more to do with them not changing their reamers often enough. That coupled with poor Quality control. The front site had no sign of solder in it. It just fell out!

very intresting!

on a side note:

It seems like there would be a good market for an American reproduction company specializing in quality blackpowder firearms made to origanal specs (unless there is already one i am unaware of?). I always feel funny about owning American reproduction firearms made overseas....(no offence to overseas members!)

Stophel said:
I think the story that Cimarron gets better quality Uberti's than anyone else is an old shooter's wives' tale....probably first perpetrated by Cimarron (though I don't think they make a public claim that they get better Uberti guns now)... :grin:

I have one Uberti, a "Whitneyville Dragoon". Came from Williams Sports. A VERY well made gun...I was surprised at how nice it was. Williams has good prices too. :wink:

I think posts like yours starts rumors. What do you base this on. More rumors?

Cimarron is still claiming theirs are made better. The guns do say Cimarron on them from the Uberti factory. If that was all that was different. Don't you think they would have been exposed by now by the competition handling the regular Uberti's? I don't see that happening. If there was no difference. Would customers still pay more for them after all these years?

You won't ever get a Cimarron gun without the box being opened, because Cimarron checks all the guns from Uberti before sending them out. You won't get one with flaws in finish or action.

The superiority (or lack thereof) of Cimarron Ubertis is always a hot topic on some of the Cowboy shooting boards...

Good point you think Remington, Colt or someone smaller like cobra jump on that Idea.

Stophel said:
The superiority (or lack thereof) of Cimarron Ubertis is always a hot topic on some of the Cowboy shooting boards...

Yes, I know. I'm in the middle of them. I use Capper on this forum only.

A year or so ago, I had asked the question about whether or not it was true that Cimarron guns were any better than other Ubertis. The largest portion of the shooters there that responded at that time said they saw no noticeable difference. So, I bowed to their collective shooting wisdom.

What I can say for certainty is that at the time, Cimarron/Texas Jack's did not have the gun I wanted in stock. Another dealer did, so I bought it from them (at a lower price), and I got a surprisingly fine quality gun that I doubt I could have gotten a better-quality version of anywhere else. :wink:

By the way, I just tried to go to Texas Jack's and my Antivirus popped up and said that site had a trojan downloader and my AV program blocked it...so be careful, apparently they've been hacked.

Back