• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New pistol on its way!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barebackjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well ive gone and done it now. Just ordered a new 1860 colt army from Cabelas. Their on sale right now for $209. Thought id pass that along. Also picked up a nice holster while I was at it. Had alot of club points, so my total was only $200, cant beat that.

Thanks for all the help previous with all the questions I had. I cant wait to get it!

So, anybody got any pet loads theyd like to share? Also, ive been following the "to lube or not" discussions. What do you all do, do you recommend a wad between the powder and ball, or just lub up the front of the cylinder?

Thanks again guys. I should be making smoke in less than a week!

If you use a lubed wad, there's no need to grease up the front. Much easier I think.

Your gonna love it! 25-30 grains fff should work just fine. Get yerself some targets....lots of downloadable ones online.....

a lubed wad does for lube atop the ball, but make sure the felt isn't really wet it could contaminate the powder over time. I make mine and dip them in my homemade lube that dries up a good bit to use later on.

Another quick question.

Whats the best caps to use on these? Im placing a TOTW order. Ive heard some like the #11 CCI and some like #10 remingtons?

Thanks again.

barebackjack said:
Another quick question.

Whats the best caps to use on these? Im placing a TOTW order. Ive heard some like the #11 CCI and some like #10 remingtons?

Thanks again.
I'd suggest you get a tin of each (or borrow some from a friend) and see what your new revolver prefers.

#10 Remingtion caps fit all my revolvers well but CCI #11 caps work fine with a good pinch.

Mike

First thing to do is get some replacement nipples made by TRESO. The Possibles shop sells them, among others. These take a #10 Remington cap perfectly. I use 24gr. 3fff, a pre lubed 3/8" wad from circle fly . a .457 or .454 ball and some crisco over the top. I shoot Cowboy action with a pair of 1860 armies and never have a glitch, just as dependable as a cartridge gun.

The last BP revolver I had I put six caps on fired the first shot and all the caps fell off. I sold the revolver to someone at the gun show he wanted it worse than me. The Ruger I had was another story it worked great.

Good Luck you may have to change the nipples but it is a lot cheaper than getting a new girlfriend or wife. :rotf:

barebackjack
If you buy new nipples make sure they are for a pistol.

There are nipples which are made for rifles and although the threads are often the same size the length of the threaded area is longer and the upper part of the nipple is much longer.

Only the Pistol sized nipples will work on your revolver.

Back