• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Pietta"s cap size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get Ampco nipples from Taylors when ever I get a new pistol. I keep the factory nipples stashed back just in case.
But if the nipples are a hair too big for the small caps, chucking them in a drill and taking a small amount of metal off with a file works very well. Just touch it to the file and test, and again, and again until you get it right. Go slow and take your time. Easy to remove, impossible to add.

Even Cabela's rarely has them. They had a spurt about 2 months ago and I picked up 5 tins locally. Mail order is the only real option for most people, and they have been pretty much unavailable in any size from usual commercial outlets for 2 years now.

Midway USA currently has CCI #10s available.
And CCI #10s are too small even for factory nipples. They usually require two strikes to detonate--one to pound them down onto the nipple farther and another to detonate them.

And CCI #10s are too small even for factory nipples. They usually require two strikes to detonate--one to pound them down onto the nipple farther and another to detonate them.
So today I was teaching a new guy to shoot and he had just bout 1000 CCI #10s from MidwayUSA. You are right - they are tight on stock Pietta nipples. We had no problems with failure to fire but they are difficult to get set on the nipples by hand. We were shooting a Remington so the usual snail capper won't work. I hate the inline cappers.

So today I was teaching a new guy to shoot and he had just bout 1000 CCI #10s from MidwayUSA. You are right - they are tight on stock Pietta nipples. We had no problems with failure to fire but they are difficult to get set on the nipples by hand. We were shooting a Remington so the usual snail capper won't work. I hate the inline cappers.
Yeah, the Remington's nipples are best accessed with an in-line capper. I went ahead and got four of the 15-cap ones so I can just preload them the night before going to the range.

To further confuse us, Track of the Wolf says CCI caps can vary in size
That is one way to Sell Nipples; grind it down to fit the ones you have, shoot them up, buy more Caps, now the new batch don't fit so you buy more nipples and grind them down to fit the new caps!?

My Uberti takes all the #10s I have ever put on it (factory nipples) but my Remington A.S.M. is too big for #10 and I have to pinch #11 (still occasionally one falls off)

Warning!!! Do not read if you a sensitive type...
I still find it interesting this non-issue still gets so much print...Just peen them open for a tighter fit or file them down chucked in a hand drill. time consuming but not hard. Try and fit your prefered cap as you adjust the size. Tapered is better.So called problem solved. Every ML gun I shoot even just for fun has needed some tuning for best use. I had to learn from expensive phone calls around the country, Those paper pulpy things (books) and tracking down the old expert guys and listening to their stories just to learn a bit. You young-uns are just spoiled by the internet instant gratification new world that has so many think they should not have to put in any effort on their part for things to work...Sorry... BP guns need extra effort on your part to work most times...

I still find it interesting this non-issue still gets so much print...Just peen them open for a tighter fit or file them down chucked in a hand drill. time consuming but not hard. Try and fit your prefered cap as you adjust the size. Tapered is better.So called problem solved. Every ML gun I shoot even just for fun has needed some tuning for best use. I had to learn from expensive phone calls around the country, Those paper pulpy things (books) and tracking down the old expert guys and listening to their stories just to learn a bit. You young-uns are just spoiled by the internet instant gratification new world that has so many think they should not have to put in any effort on their part for things to work...Sorry... BP guns need extra effort on your part to work most times...
The irony is, probably 90% of Uberti and Pietta cap and ballers are sold to people who impulse buy them after watching a western or a Civil War movie , and never put the first 50 rounds through them.

And the "cash and carry" no FFL aspect in most states is appealing.

The vast majority of buyers of these are not trying to do any work, they want to blow smoke on a Saturday and stick them in a shadow box to collect dust.

Or buy a Brasser Redi-Pak from Dicks and go pop coffee cans.

It would behoove these gunmakers to make the nipples fit CCI #11 because it's the most common cap. Again, these buyers would look at you like a deer in headlights if you talked about aftermarket nipples, or chucking things in a drill......they just want to shoot a cheap " Civil War pistol " not spend a day working on it.

It seems like Pietta finally got with the program because the nipples fit every cap I have for the most part.

Treso / Ampco nipples seem to be made for Rem #10

Just today I test popped CCI #11's from Batch D on my Ampco nipples in my Dragoon and it took two hits to pop them. They "just" fit well to the point where it feels like they need just a bit of a slicker surface on the nipple to push down a little more

I feel like some burnishing with jewelers rouge will take just that little bit off the diameter and allow CCI #11 to seat and still allow other brands to work

And stay off my grass!

I never thought about peening them open until they fit. Thanks for the easy to get, free internet advice No second place.

Back