• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soggy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished up this one, this afternoon. It's been in the works for awhile.
sat.jpg
[/img]
sat-2.jpg
[/img]
sat-1.jpg
[/img]
The horn is 11" along the curve, by 2-3/8" diameter. Butt plug is curly maple stained with Min-Wax mahogany stain. The neck is dyed with black/brown Rite dye, and the staples were forged from a piece of cloths hanger wire. The "antique" finish was produced using apple cider vinager and onion skins. Scrimshaw ink was basic black india ink.
Soggy

soggy said:
I just finished up this one, this afternoon. It's been in the works for awhile.
Soggy

Nice looking horn Soggy. I know what you mean about being in the works for a while. It takes a few hours to produce a horn with all the bells and whistles on it. Sometimes more than a few hours.

Randy Hedden

Nice work :bow: I'll look forward to seeing that next time you come up to Blue Mountain

:hatsoff: Thanks fellars for all the positive feedback ; I've had some pretty good tutoring from a couple of real pros here on the forum. Namely Griz, and Harddog. They might think I'm a pest :winking: but I've found out if you want to know something in life don't be afraid to ask and somebody will always help you.
Here's a couple of closeups of the scrimshaw. I couldn't post them yesterday due to some problems I was having with my camera. (Now maybe someone will step foreward and show me how to correctly take.......edit............post pictures :rotf: ) It took almost as long and was more frustrating postintg the darned pictures than it did to make the horn
test001.jpg
[/img]
test002.jpg
[/img]
test003.jpg
[/img]

Is the front of the horn a separate jointed peice?If so, how about some pics of constuction?Really nice horn!

BRUN said:
Is the front of the horn a separate jointed peice?If so, how about some pics of constuction?Really nice horn!
No this horn is all one piece. The neck is filed down and dyed .
Here is a link to one that I had to make a neck for (for obvious reasons :redface: )[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/198765/post/322008/hl//[/url]
Soggy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back