• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Gun Id help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Md80runway23

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just one this old jalopy at auction. Pretty much worthless I would say, but I'm just curious as to an age and possible maker? No markings I can see. I'm a military gun man so this one is out of my wheelhouse. Thanks
Screenshot_20221231_163744_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221231_163737_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221231_163730_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221231_163726_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221231_163721_Chrome.jpg

Too bad we don't have a good picture of the cheekpiece side and tang, since they might help. From what I can see, it is probably a North Carolina rifle. The guard with elongated spur off the bow, long straight-sided tang, what seems to be normal sized cheek, side facing with slight point on nose, and a butt with straight lines but not too much height at the butt plate, all tend to suggest a North Carolina rifle to me. It definitely looks like a "southern" gun, and if not NC, then somewhere close by.

Shelby Gallien

No rear sight usually indicates a smoothbore, and not a rifle.

It looks like there was a logo on the lockplate to the rear of the hammer that's gotten scrubbed off through use, as was the engraving (unusual on a utility piece).

I've never seen a nicer gun to hang over, or stand against, a fireplace - just think of the bragging that could be done on that baby ( ;) )

This gun is a rifle, as indicated by its full octagon barrel with both front and rear sights. Rear sight has been moved back about 6" [maybe a little more] due to barrel being shortened at breech.

Dating these rather plain rifles is somewhat subjective. With its later double-spurred guard, single lock bolt, and rather round tail on percussion lock, yet still retaining decent stock architecture, I'd date this rifle to ca. 1845, but possibly as late as 1855.

Shelby Gallien

Could a man restock it? Keeping the original stock as well of course. Where would one begin to look if so? Thanks

Without a hands-on inspection, the best way to tell if it was originally a full-stocked rifle is to examine the barrel out beyond the rear pipe. If the gun once had a full-length stock, there should be a faint stock line running out along the barrel's two side flats. The lower part of the flat below the stock line should be cleaner/lighter/less rust, while the part above the stock line should be darker from oxidation, dirt, and general exposure to handling, etc., over the years. When enlarging your pictures, I don't see an iron under-rib on the bottom side of the barrel, which suggests the gun was full-stocked. If so, there should be a couple old scars on the bottom flat of the barrel from where the original barrel loops had been located.

The gun could be restored, but it would involve having the barrel "stretched" back to its original length by adding a piece of old barrel onto your breech end where it had been previously cut off. An experienced collector or restorer should be able to determine the original length of the barrel by removing the current barrel from the stock and lining up old barrel pin holes with the original barrel lug locations on the bottom of the barrel. The missing forestock wood is then replaced while retaining the original rear portion of the stock. But good restoration costs money, and you must consider the value of the gun you have, what restoration will cost, and the gun's potential value after restoration. In this case, with a relatively plain gun and no maker's signature remaining on the barrel, the value of the gun after restoration may not justify doing the needed work. While there is a range of prices for doing this type of work, I'd guess the barrel work would be about $400 for a good job, and the stock work perhaps another $300, if you use a good restorer, but not one of the top-level restorers.

To locate people doing restoration, you might try posting a couple good pictures of your rifle and describe the work you want done in the appropriate forum on this site, as well as the appropriate forum on Americanlongrifles site. Modern builders/restorers watch these sites regularly and you should get some responses. It also helps to ask their location, and work with someone within reasonable driving distance.

Shelby Gallien

Last edited:
Back