• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New GPR Hunter use question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aflineman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,
New to the site and somewhat new to the traditional side of the shooting sports

I just picked up a GPR Hunter in trade. From myreading, I understand these are best used with conical and miniballs.I'm not really looking to use this for big game hunting yet, mainly predators, birds, and small game. Would I be better served to trade this off for a fowler, a NW rifle, or a trade rifle of some sort; considering the type of hunting that I am looking at? This rifle is new, unshot, and I have the box (rilfe has been assembled though).
Also, if I don't trade it off, does someone make a smoothbore barrel that will work with this. Or does Lyman sell the flint 1in60 twist barrels seperatly for the flintlock (right hand)?

One nice thing I have noticed about this rifle, the Wife wants me to hang it on the wall of the living room. Says it will go with our decor. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your time.

There is a used barrel on the classified ads right now. It is for a Great Plains Rifle and will have two barrel keys. Does your Rifle have one or two barrel keys? Click the link below to view ad;
Classified Ads

Thank You. Mine has the two keys and is a 50.
I may head up to The Gunworks in Eugene on Tuesday and see what he may have up there. I'm kind of leaning toward keeping this one and getting at least a 1 in 60 barrel for it. Maybe building a 20ga Fowler or NW trade rifle later. I may just play with what I have and see what I really want instead of what I THINK I want. :)

Edit to add: My Wife just told me; "You might as well start saving your mad money now. From your tone of voice and the look on your face, you will wind up with a half a dozen of those things anyway!"
:grin:

The .50 and .54 barrels are 15/16" across the flats, so those barrels should interchange. I'm sure the one on the classifieds' is a 1-60" twist because it says for a GPR, not GPH.

aflineman
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your GPH.

You are correct in your saying it is mainly suited for shooting conicals and, IMO, those can be more than too much for small game. They are rather costly too.

As for bird hunting, both the GPH and the GPR leave a lot to be desired because both are rifled and both come in calibers that are a bit much for small game. Shot loads usually don't work well at all in rifled barrels.
That is not to say you can't hunt small game with them but you will pretty much have to limit the shots to "head shots" if you want anything left to eat.

On the other hand, any muzzleloader makes a great gun for target shooting and old fashioned plinking.

I'd get a rb barrel for it, you might find someone sometime that wants the fast twist barrel for shooting modern connicals, and you could recoup the cost of the ther barrel. a second gun in smoothbore is a solid way to go.

If you don't want to buy a used GPR barrel Mid south shooters supply sells 1-60 twist drop in for 130$.

That Barrel in the Classifieds is good deal since it also comes with a Lock. You never know when you might want that lock for something. If you don't want it, you can get at least $50.00 for it on ebay.

Robert

tg said:
I'd get a rb barrel for it, you might find someone sometime that wants the fast twist barrel for shooting modern connicals, and you could recoup the cost of the ther barrel. a second gun in smoothbore is a solid way to go.
That's my vote.

Latest posts

Back