• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Gonne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Riegl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
:bow: Another Wes Pilley beauty is on the way. It's .50 calibre and a copy from a photo of one I found in the research files I have gleaned from "our" bunch of gonners. Teleoceras is going to be flipping over my recent "conversion." Anyhoo here's the pic still on Wes' lathe. I think the next might be a replica of the Tannenburg gonne, also with plans which I downloaded from Ulrich Bretcher's site.
MyNewGonne.jpg

Pasquenel:

:bow: Another Wes Pilley beauty is on the way. It's .50 calibre and a copy from a photo of one I found in the research files I have gleaned from "our" bunch of gonners.....

Very cool! One can't have enough of the old Handgonnes! :grin:

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Here's my version of the same pattern, also .50 cal (actually 33/64" bore). A little late for the match though.

FlameHandGonne.jpg

And it needs a stock.

:bow: Hey, w'ere twins----but my tiller is longer----43"----

NewGonne1.jpg
[/img] :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Here is my version I built a couple of years ago. It has since gone on to another home.

Medieval-Handgonne-1.jpg

Medieval-Handgonne-2.jpg

I think I might need to build another.

OOOH! Cu Cannon!
How big is the bore that you are using 1fg Goex?
Is there never any flare at the muzzle? When I get mine turned I want a little flare. Anyone?
volatpluvia

This one is 50 cal. I shot it a few times with ffg goex. It wasn’t much for accuracy. The bore was drilled so it was rather rough. That was one of the reasons I got rid of it. I have a few other plans that I’ve come up with but I have yet to build.

The fg can is one I had around. I also have some big bore stuff. My largest is a 12pdr coehorn. I’ve shot blanks at reenactments but I have yet to fire projectiles. At 1/4 lb a shot you can go through a lot of powder in a short amount of time. If there’s anyone interested I can post some pictures over in the cannon section.

A flare would make loading much easer. I think I’ve seen some pictures of original pieces that have some flare. I think for the most part it is personal preference.

CU Cannon,
Uh, I just meant a flare on the outside. That is what I would like on mine.
volatpluvia

Her is a 1" bore gonne that i just turned Friday. No flair but figured you would enjoy seeing it.
Craig

1inch.jpg

:bow: 1.00" bore yoo hah--that one will make the shot heard round the world. I have toyed with the Kraken---Claypipe's monster gonne. Here is one I am thinking of for the next gonne.
TannenbergBuchse600.jpg
[/img]

Hhuuuummmmmnnnn!
Okay, I'm satisfied. I have seen many configurations right here on the forum. I can make what I want and it will likely be correct. So that is what I will do. :thumbsup:
volatpluvia

That one is Ulrich's; you have to make it with a file.

This one is Claypipe's; you can use a Bridgeport to make it.

tannenbergs.jpg

You know, seeing all of these new Handgonnes has been made me realise what a great service this forum has done.

I barely knew of the Handgonne and there was only one commerical source when I bought Dora in 1999. But since I joined the MLF a few years ago, I have seen the ranks of us Handgonners increase many fold as people are finding out just how fun these first gonnes really are! :)

Kudos! :applause:

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Back