• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman56

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well new to me anyway. I was very surprised that my Austin Halleck made it here already today. I can't wait to go out and shoot it but seeing as it's raining I figure I'd better learn one thing at a time. :grin:

I'm very pleased with the looks of the rifle. The fit around the lock is excellent as is the buttplate although the fit around the barrel isn't quite what I would have hoped it's better than a lot of factory built rifles. The rear sight is very strange (and ugly) and I don't believe came with the rifle and it will likely be replaced as will the ramrod. I'm very pleased with the browning. I would like to know how they achieved the colour as it looks just like well aged metal.

My first functioning rocklock. Now to find out if it shoots and more importantly if I can make it shoot. I'm sure with all the help I've recieved from the flintlock gurus on this forum I won't have many real problems. Wish me luck guys, you've converted another one (and an old one this time)

101_0854.jpg

Looks like a fun one to learn on, MM. :thumbsup: You're one step ahead of me with flinters. Mine is still in the box, needing assembly. :surrender: GW

She looks like a Sweetheart to me.!!!!! Mine has a buckhorn rear sight...does yours? I cut the prong off the side of my buckhorn and I dont mind it so much now...Cant wait to hear how she shoots.
Is yours stamped Weston Mo on the barrel?
Oh...and ya aint Never too old to Learn! and ya caint never have too many Muzzleloaders either !!

Sounds great! It'll breathe some fresh new life into your shooting and hunting for a while now... :thumbsup:

Yes it will Roundball. I'm just chawing at the bit trying to get out and shoot it. Course I'm always like that this time of year. Been averaging half a dozen shots a day for the last few weeks.

Scalper....the barrel is stamped Weston Mo so I guess that means it's one of the older ones? The buckhorn rear sight has been replaced with some weird square lookin thing. I'll have to give it a try but I'm one of the few guys who actually LIKE buckhorn sights so I expect that's what it will get put back on it.

Congrats MM56,I feel sure you will like your new flinter.They are a "hoot to shoot". I'm up to 2 now myself a GPR in .54 & a TC Renegade in .50. The TC is a shooter but i still need to fine tune the GPR :shake: But as i understand it, they all shoot low from the factory, i just need to file the front sight a little. Be sure you pull the lock and clean it each time you shoot it. :thumbsup:

Now ya went and done it! Ya gotta start collectin' rifles again now. Flinters this time. :wink:

Have fun with her. She's purty. :thumbsup:

:hmm: Looks like I started a trend what with my new picture and all. :grin:

Where's your T-shirt?? :rotf: :rotf:

Sooo, you are 53 years old and call yourself "old"? Man, I'm 21 years older than you. I had an A-H, built in Utah, had a buckhorn sight. And mine had a small gap around the rear of the barrel/tang also. Mine shot low and I've heard that is a common problem. That might explain the replacement sight, altho I just filed my front sight.

Mountainman56 said:
:hmm: Looks like I started a trend what with my new picture and all. :grin:

Where's your T-shirt?? :rotf: :rotf:

I saw yer new avatar too. Must be one of them great minds thinkin' alike things. :haha:

I hadta change my pic so I could show off my pistol woodswalk medal. Ya gotta look close, it's a little pic. Specially if yer wearin' bifocals. :haha: (didn't think you'd see I wasn't wearin' the t-shirt, old eyes ya know...)

Back