• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Critter in the Stable

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumblernotch

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Eighteen years ago, I started building a percussion companion to a flint .40 rifle I had built earlier. Before proceeding very far, I got diverted to other gun projects and such. Finally, a few months ago I started up again and Wednesday night I put the finishing touches on it.

It's still a percussion rifle, but I have a sneakin' feeling that I will end up altering it to flint before all is said and done.

It's a bit rough, but I ain't a gunbuilder.

NewForty.jpg
[/img]

NewFortyBreechArea.jpg
[/img]

GrainCarving.jpg
[/img]

"Rough" means it was built with pride and care, because someone who cares feels their work is never good enough. Beautiful rifle to be proud of. JMHO

Rick

Looks pretty darn good to me. But if you start building professionally, you're gonna have to do something about that 18 year turnaround. :grin: Of course, you could just sell to young folks.

Thanks fellers! I've built some since I started this one and they didn't take as long. :haha: This project just got pushed to the back somehow. My wife's glad I finally finished it. She had bought the barrel for my birthday those many years ago. I'm ashamed for not getting it done earlier, especially after seeing the figure in that wood! :redface: I knew it was a nice piece, but staining it really brought it out.

WristandCombGrain.jpg
[/img]

WristandCombGrain2.jpg
[/img]

ForearmGrain.jpg
[/img]

Rough? Man that is one fine looking rifle. I've been buying components for a caplock rifle to match my 40 cal flinter. Hope mine turns out that nice. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I just came in from the range a little bit ago. We shot a woodswalk silhouette match. 10 gongs of various shapes and sizes including a log chain. Hit all the gongs but missed the chain first time around and won the match. I hadn't even shot the gun in yet. Then I took it over and benched it. It shot a tad to the right so I knocked the rear sight over a bit and using the same load as I always use in my flinter shot the best X's I've ever shot. Despite the imperfections in my wood to metal fitting, this is a shooter for sure. I'm very pleased with it. But I still think at some point I'm going to put a flint lock on it. I'm definitely planning on using it at the Bill Large Memorial Shoot. And I can't wait till squirrel season!

Latest posts

Back