• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Brooks Fowling Piece

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a fantastic looking weapon. :thumbsup: Congrats Stump. Great job Mr. Brooks. :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

An outstanding gun built by a fine and knowledgeable artisan. Mr. Brooks, you serve the community proud by sharing your abilities with like minded individuals. I am proud for you Stumpy that you now possess such a fine piece.

I think he was supposed to take it out for a test run today. Had a nice day to do it if he did. How'd she shoot Stumpy??

Got some lighting. Here's that walnut.
DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0073.jpg

DSCN0072.jpg

And here she is with my new Swampy crafted fowler bag.

DSCN0101.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

:thumbsup: tuff pair to beat!!! look great!!good fer you Stump!! an again, Swampy, Mike, Nice Work! :bow: :bow:

Oh man that second pic down makes me all giddy and stuff! Just love what he did to the breech area. That is one sweet gun! :bow:

Oh, the pride you must be feeling right now! What a wonderful piece. :bow:

Shot her 30 times today. Not a hitch or hickup and the flint's just starting to show wear. I have some pattern work ahead of me, though. This is #5s at 30 yards.

DSCN0079.jpg

Power enough, but a little sparse; though not bad for straight cylinder.

30 yds on top, two lowers are 25 (in spite of the label - I changed my mind after starting)

DSCN0085.jpg

And round balls were pretty interesting. These are with no patch - three with paper (see lowest image) and the rest just a bare ball over a nitro card and a shot card on top. 3 @ 30 w/paper, 3 @ 30 without and 3@50 yards without. I will be able to improve once I get some practice and the right load. These are 60 gr FFg w/0.648" ball - a super pleasure to shoot.

DSCN0111.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

Uh oh, shooting low.time for a bending session. :wink:
You caught the light right on that buttstock and really caught how nice that piece of wood looks in person.
Killed those cans about as dead as they can be! :haha:

I'm not worried about bending just yet. Someone gave me this neat little copper front blade to play with. I was centering the tip of that on the bullseye while "peering" over the breech - very unfowlerlike of me. If I had ignored it entirely I would likely have been in the black at 30 yards.

The thought of bending gives me the heebie-jeebies at this point. (Don't try changing the one you love. :haha: )

I'll try pointing it next; the way I usually fire a sightless gun or an arrow. I was looking more for group size potential than bullseye.

I could also file down the front blade.

DSCN0112.jpg

Also might have to come up with a very thin patch material. 0.010" was too thick for the balls I have (hundreds of)!

Stumpy, I have a feeling you'll dial in your loads. Congratulations to you and to Mike on the build decisions that went into such an outstanding fowler, including the choice of 16 gauge, "the queen of the uplands."
Swampy's bag just tops off the package beautifully. You're definitely running with the big dogs!
:grin:

Wow, Wood, carving, engraving, everything!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I like the slight return at the toe area of the butt. Is that indicative of any specific area?
Robby

Late in the game, but Wow that's a beauty! Congratulations on that, and the great bag as well! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back