• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Brooks Fowling Piece

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of Mike Brooks No. 308 - a walnut stocked fowling piece in 16 gauge with a 42" Colerain Griffin barrel and Chambers Early Virginia lock.

I asked Mike to build light for grouse shooting and work an archery motif in but otherwise dealer's choice. Just shy of seven pounds!

The images are indoor and so don't do it justice - I'll hopefully get more tomorrow when I get to make some smoke with her. After handling her a bit I think I'm going to call her "Wisp". It's light and wispy and swings like a dream. The stock dimensions are based on a Remington 1889 hammer double I own with a few changes to fit. Comes right up fast and on. Beautiful starburst curl in the walnut I can't really get with a flash. It needs a good sunlit image.

This one was in the P.O. parking lot and I got a look from a woman that made me decide to just go to work before I got purse beat.

FSCN0042.jpg

The rest with flash - not the best
DSCN0107-1.jpg

DSCN0047.jpg

DSCN0048.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0059.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

DSCN0063.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

DSCN0065.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

That is PURTY! :thumbsup:
I really like the aged look of the finish. Love that sideplate. The engraving and carving set everything off just right. And she looks like she'd just about jump to your shoulder all by herself. Slim & trim. Beautiful lines.
Birds and bunnies better beware!

Not to be nosey, but who's barrel did he use. I'm lookin to build a lighter weight fowler myself. Both of mine weighed in at over 8#s. Thanks, Buzzard

Beautiful piece. Looks like alot of hours went into creating that one. Can't wait to see her in the light...

Grey Whiskers said:
Stump, you lucky dawg! That's a sweet gun. :thumbsup: GW

Ya what he said twice!!!..Another light one from Mike!..Great investment!

Stumpkiller & Mr Brooks....that Gentlemen, is jus Awesome! Well Done ! Grats Stump!! :thumbsup: Excellent Mike!! :bow:

You oughta be happy with that!
Congrats to you and Mike on fine collaboration.

:hmm: .....new avatar....new smoothbore...go Stump!

It has a 42" 16 bore colerain "Griffin" barrel. Most everything else are Chambers parts. The stock is Michigan black walnut with a sunburst crotch curl in the butt. No stain was used an the walnut. When Stumpy gets some out door pics that buttstock will really pop.

I just had to come back and look at these some more.

Mike Brooks said:
The stock is Michigan black walnut with a sunburst crotch curl in the butt. No stain was used an the walnut.

NICE wood! No, really... OUTSTANDING wood! :blah:

Nice craftsmanship too! Bravo! :applause:

Latest posts

Back