• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New at Casting minieballs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure your lead and the area you cast in is 100% free of water. A single drop of water in your lead pot can cause a steam explosion sending molten lead flying everywhere. Make sure your shed roof doesn't leak or condensate from the heat, and never let your lead sit outside where it can get rained on.

Found that having your lead at 850 plus a hot, smoked mold. Like too pre heat my mold with a propane torch. Put spit on your finger and quickly touch the mold it should (sing to you) if you do it properly you won't burn your self. Using this method my first balls are good. Don't hammer on the mold to free a bullet, tap on the pivot bolt on the handles. An old cot off hammer handle works great.

I was new to casting last winter. These guys helped me out with my questions also. Many thanks go out to them. Take your time and enjoy it. It is therapeutic.

Carbon6 is exactly spot on... when i run ball, i wear leather gloves, my glasses (the mill where i work provides prescription safety glasses) .. you also want to wear closed toes footwear, long pants, a long sleeve shirt, and a hat or sweatband of some kind ... i was running ball in August in Maryland, and one drop of sweat hit the surface of the pot.

the result was ... um ... dramatic

wore a hat thereafter.

One other thing...be sure NOT to wear poly-Anything while casting. I have a 2 piece hunting coat, outer is water proof, inner keeps you very warm. Was wearing the inner and decided to run some ball. It's a poly-blend of stuff. I had a small lead splatter, I think while dropping some rejects into the pot, and it burned holes right down to the stuffing.
I really messed up a good jacket. Think cotton or some such.

Back