• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Neighbors tree has a wasp nest in it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I invented a sport I like to call "wasping".

I use my son's Daisy BB gun to shoot wasps like skeet. It takes some practice, but I swear I've killed hundreds, enough to genuinely cut down on the local wasp population around my house. It's so much fun, there's no seasons for them, and it definitely helps with aiming.

Update on neighbors nest. It's been in the 30's here so I cut it down with a 15' pole cutter. It was in bad shape. Most of the bottom was missing. I let it freeze out side over night and tore it apart this AM out on the patio while wearing leather gloves. I salvaged all of the paper outer nest and tore all of the comb into small pieces. Almost all of the chambers were empty but whatever looked like survivors aren't anymore.
I never have used nest for wadding before so I think I'll make a post asking what kind of lube is best to use. :doh: 😂.
Then I'll start a poll to see how quickly we get to 6 pages of replies :dunno:

And in case anyone didn't get it.....I'm joking. And thanks for all of the replies.

I invented a sport I like to call "wasping".

I use my son's Daisy BB gun to shoot wasps like skeet. It takes some practice, but I swear I've killed hundreds, enough to genuinely cut down on the local wasp population around my house. It's so much fun, there's no seasons for them, and it definitely helps with aiming.
Wow, I've shot bees that landed on my target but never got one on a crossing shot. that's impressive!

One summer when I was about 13 years old I spotted a bald faced hornet nest in our hemlock trees, about 6 or 7 feet above ground. At a distance of about 15 yards I threw a rock about the size of a golf ball at the nest thinking I'd probably miss. I dead center nailed it and immediately turned away and ran as fast as I could. It wasn't fast enough. I made it about 40 or 50 feet. And, as mentioned in a post above, they have a nasty sting.

One summer when I was about 13 years old I spotted a bald faced hornet nest in our hemlock trees, about 6 or 7 feet above ground. At a distance of about 15 yards I threw a rock about the size of a golf ball at the nest thinking I'd probably miss. I dead center nailed it and immediately turned away and ran as fast as I could. It wasn't fast enough. I made it about 40 or 50 feet. And, as mentioned in a post above, they have a nasty sting.
I always thought it would be fun to blast one of those with a whole bunch of #12 shot. There's like 2000+ pellets per oz, I can't imagine there would be many wasps left after a double barrel blast.

A slingshot and a pouch full of 36 caliber balls.. the ball makes a real nice sound when it hits the nest too.

I always thought it would be fun to blast one of those with a whole bunch of #12 shot. There's like 2000+ pellets per oz, I can't imagine there would be many wasps left after a double barrel blast.
Yeah, but it would only take 2 or 3 Bald Face hornets to ruin your day. ;)

i have done. destroys the nest and most of the bugs. when one observes how marvelous those nests are it makes you not want to destroy it.

Wait for winter (you did) and just take it down.
Hornets die off at the end of the season. Only the mated queen survives. She does so by burying herself in leaf litter in mild areas, or underground in harsh areas. Once she emerges in the spring she will build a few cells, raise a few workers, and get them going on building a new nest. It would be very rare that they would come back to repair the delicate nest she left last fall. They may, however, return to the same spot to start a new nest.
Hope this helps.
I don't know if that's true 'I collect them in the winter and placed them in a clear plastic bag and assumed that till I stepped on the bag a couple days later while reloading and I had them at all stages of life and dead was not one of them!/Ed

I've heard that paper wasps/hornets nests of any species will work fine as wadding, but never thought it would be worth the trouble. Also, I hate wasps.
Other than being traditional I got no use for them ,tried it but I use more modern wadding and get great patterns in the Pedersoli ! I guess you can load up on pebbles too for shotguns but I'm going with lead/Ed

Back