• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from a 2-decades retired CW reenactor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captprozac

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings. I used to be a big CW reenactor in Arkansas and St Louis in the hobby's heyday in the 1990's. Stopped active reenacting in 2001. Went to a couple of events in the mid 20 teens and decided it wasn't for me anymore. Always reenacted Federal as they seemed under represented. Anyways got rid of my reenacting gear a couple of months ago but kept my Euroarms 1858 Enfield (wife told me to hang on to it. She is a keeper). Now am an empty nester, and am getting back into shooting and reloading. I still have almost 20 lbs of lead ingots in my basement and have had the urge to dig out the lead pot an pour bullets. Anyone have a suggestion to what is the best bullet mold for that rifle? I have a Lee .58 cal mold. It is a wad cutter and not real accurate beyond 50 yds.

Last edited:
Welcome from Maine. Ask your questions on the percussion rifle section. You will get more responses. This thread is for introductions only.
Nit Wit

Welcome from Minnesota and also was a Union CW reenactor during the 80's and 90's. I always had the best luck with the ash can style mold for accuracy out of my Euroarms 3 band Enfield.

Last edited:
Greetings. I used to be a big CW reenactor in Arkansas and St Louis in the hobby's heyday in the 1990's. Stopped active reenacting in 2001. Went to a couple of events in the mid 20 teens and decided it wasn't for me anymore. Always reenacted Federal as they seemed under represented. Anyways got rid of my reenacting gear a couple of months ago but kept my Euroarms 1858 Enfield (wife told me to hang on to it. She is a keeper). Now am an empty nester, and am getting back into shooting and reloading. I still have almost 20 lbs of lead ingots in my basement and have had the urge to dig out the lead pot an pour bullets. Anyone have a suggestion to what is the best bullet mold for that rifle? I have a Lee .58 cal mold. It is a wad cutter and not real accurate beyond 50 yds.
Prichett ball. Easy loading. Make the correct cartridge and you can load quickly and they're very accurate.

Hey, good luck! I did Rev War for 10 yrs. during the exciting Bi-Cen period; Civil War always seemed "too modern" or "fast paced" for me! I dabbled in CW enacting but never took to it. I just got from an estate an un-fired Euroarms Enfield musketoon, un-fired but 20+ years old with sling, nipple protector and tompion. Hope you have a good time with your new hobby activities! Best regards.

Welcome!

Get some pin gauges and measure your rifle's bore. You want your Minies to be .001"-.002" undersize for easy loading and close enough to bore size to expand and engage the rifling. Make sure your lead is pure, dead soft or your bullets won't expand.

The Lyman 575213 works for most rifles and rifle muskets.

Back