• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with Enfield cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothy prouty

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a pH musketoon and I'm trying to make the Enfield cartridge I saw Noe mould sell Pritchett bullet mould did anybody by 1 and how do they work I see that you got to wait for 10 people to make an order before they process your order is that true or not

I've been shooting my Parker-Hale Enfield Musketoon since 1974 with a Minié bullet cast from a Lyman mould.

That's what they were made to shoot back in the day, the same as the three-band and two-band Enfield rifle from which they were derived.

If you look on Youtube, you can see Rob making cartridges - 303british is the name of his site, and it's right up there with the best of 'em. In the USA you have Murphey's Muskets, and in Canada we have Rob.

Good luck with the Pritchett-style bullet.

tac

WELL I have a about5 different bullet molds for mine rifle I made Pritchett bullet sizing die that I ordered from S&S firearm and they are 5000 increments down from a 575 to550 then I wrap them in paper and they seem to work fairly good but I was wondering about the noe mould because I read a lot of good stuff on the mould and wondering if anybody use them because they could beginning a kickback from the company

I'd take note of what Rob has to say, regarding moulds and such.
He, and Brett in the States have a very good handle on the Pritchett.

They discuss Pritchetts on another forum, but I gather we are not to post links to other M/L forums.
Google "Pritchett accuracy" and it should come up for you. (BMF)

Good luck!

Pukka.

I bow to your greater knowledge. :surrender:

My comment was based solely on more than forty years of successful shooting using the Minié bullet.

tac

Punctuation is your friend.

That aside, do you realize you you picked the most difficult of all paper musket cartridges to make?
When done correctly, they sure look nice.
Too nice to shoot, it seems.

YES I know and any one who is going to try it make sure that you have a thick skirt because I use a thin skirt and I use 70 grains of goex ff and I blew half the skirt that got stuck halfway in the barrel and that was a pain getting half the skirt out

I second RJDH on the other forum suggestion (BMF). I have used the NOE 0,55" mould and it was good. Order the base plug plate too.

The Pritchett cartridge (whilst the cartridge originated in Belgian/French design) demands the corresponding bullet to work as a battle cartridge. For simple accuracy the Burton bullet edges it but nothing keeps on loading like a good Pritchett cartridge. It needs the sharp kick of 3F black powder to set up the base plug into the rear in my experience.

Repeating myself but do visit the other forum where there are pages aplenty on this round discussing everything from paper to firing clay via the original industrial machinery.

Rolled literally thousands of Enfield cartridges over 30-plus years of Civil War re-enacting, even packaged them 10 to a bundle using original copies of the cartridge packaging. Not hard, but takes a while to get the hang of it. There are several YouTube vids that show how. Only loaded live rounds a few times, but it's the exact same premise. We loaded Goex ffg over rolled up toilet paper that served as blanks in place of the minie ball ... for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the help guy's and how long did you have to wait for your mould from noe mould and did you get the plug mould and how does it work and what plug material did you use

Mate, I am one of the chaps from the BMF working up the Enfield Cartridge. Use Beinfang 360 rag vellum from Dick Blick, as the outer wrapper. Robs' Videos on u tube are excellent in shewing the use and construction. I am getting pretty close to Burton bullet (minnie) accuracy with mine. I am using the .55 pritchett, but this mould was a private purchase from the chap who made it 40 years ago. PM me and I can let you know the forum where this is currently being discussed.

I kept an eye on the NOE site and jumped in when the next batch came up. In respect of the mould plate (which I did buy) there are assorted methods mentioned in a diligent search of the mentioned forum. The mould and plate were well made.

There was a good article in MuzzleBlasts years ago and although I don't remember exactly where it was located, I did make a drawing of the papers that are needed to make one .5l77 Enfield cartridge.

For those interested, here it is:

41176972714_a1fa5ac074_o.jpg

You can "open" it in another window or tab for a enlarged view.

I don't remember the thicknesses of these papers or how they are rolled so good luck with that one. :grin:

Sold with the bullet mould so not to hand to measure.

The only problem was that the plug, when fitted to the bullet, protruded about 1/16" whereas it should be flush. That was with Milliput plugs. Oven cured modelling clays were too soft. When I made clay ones the shrinkage on drying and (low) firing made them fit the bullet just right. The recomended forum goes into quite tedious details; especially my 'lecture mode' contributions. Made quite passable plugs, with which 3F powder should be used to set up the plug quickly.

I don't shoot cartridges, but use grease grooved Minie style bullets. I mostly shoot competition, and here in the UK we shoot the Enfield out to 800 yards.

David

Back