• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help....Have a cva hawken rifle with ball stuck in it,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got hold of a 50 T.C once, the owner told me he only shot it 4 times. Tryed to shoot it my self ,hesitated when shoot 2or 3 times . When cleaning it realized something was in the barrel. Patch and ball. Got that out then shot it . Great shooting gun.
I acquired a mid 1950s S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman that was in 98% condition. Guy brought it to me and said he had a bullet stuck in the barrel. Looking at the barrel/cylinder gap.. I could indeed see guilding metal jacket. No problem, got out my range rod to drive it back into the cylinder and it only went 3" into the barrel. Oh oh....
Long story short.. I had to make a milling cutter to machine out the (5) 158gr .357 Softpoints.. and drift #6 back into the cylinder. I made up a rod with a small hook.cutter on it to clear all the bits and pieces of jacket material left in the barrel.
Some of the cartridges had SOME powder in them as it expanded a spot in the barrel at the front of the ejector rod housing, about .375 long and .010 fat. It does not harm its accuracy, not with cast or jacketed bullets, but I wont shoot hollow based wad cutters in it. Oh.. he gave me the gun and his reloading equipment for getting the bullets out.. and he took up golf instead.
Odd situation.. love the gun.

I'll never forget when I got a Lee slug stuck in the pipe of my Pedersoli 1816 Springfield. They shot great but I didn't size them right.

I soaked it in Hoppe's and let it sit for a week, then re-screwed the puller in and put the rod T-Handle in a tree branch crook, and leaned my weight into it while holding the musket and I felt it moving, then "flooop" it popped out

Those Lee slugs shot 4" groups at 100 and actually outshot some of my rifles. The guy who cast them for me stopped selling them so I don't play with them anymore.

I acquired a mid 1950s S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman that was in 98% condition. Guy brought it to me and said he had a bullet stuck in the barrel. Looking at the barrel/cylinder gap.. I could indeed see guilding metal jacket. No problem, got out my range rod to drive it back into the cylinder and it only went 3" into the barrel. Oh oh....
Long story short.. I had to make a milling cutter to machine out the (5) 158gr .357 Softpoints.. and drift #6 back into the cylinder. I made up a rod with a small hook.cutter on it to clear all the bits and pieces of jacket material left in the barrel.
Some of the cartridges had SOME powder in them as it expanded a spot in the barrel at the front of the ejector rod housing, about .375 long and .010 fat. It does not harm its accuracy, not with cast or jacketed bullets, but I wont shoot hollow based wad cutters in it. Oh.. he gave me the gun and his reloading equipment for getting the bullets out.. and he took up golf instead.
Odd situation.. love the gun.

Attachments

• S&W-38-44-15.JPG
    S&W-38-44-15.JPG
    687.7 KB · Views: 0
Back