• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help choosing my first Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aukhan

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello

I have been interested in flintlocks for a long time and have now decided to buy one, I am interested an English or Virginian flintlock with a rifled barrel. My budget is $ 1500. I am confused about all the gun makers out there, I don’t want a wall hanger but something I can shoot and hunt with.

Regards
Aji

Let me be the first (there will be others) to recommend looking at the rifles from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. www.avsia.com/tvm/ And, welcome to the Forum. Ask as many questions as you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also go to your local magazine stand and buy a copy of Muzzleloader Magazine. Many good advertisements there.

take a look at jim chambers kits ,they are first rate.

have fun and enjoy the journey :hatsoff:

You can get a GREAT BUILT AND DEPENDABLE flintlock from TVM. Toni an Matt are good people to deal with an the delivery time will reasonable :thumbsup:

Much will depend on whether you want a gun that is ready to go or are able and willing to build a kit. A kit can save you some money but, if you are not skilled with your hands and know what you are doing, you can take $750 worth of parts and turn them into a $200 gun. So, if you are up to building a kit, I highly recommend jim Chambers' kits. They consist of all excellent parts. Another excellent source for parts or finished guns is Track of The Wolf. There are several others listed in Muzzle Blasts magazine. I also recommend looking over the offerings here on the Forum ads.

Almost all of the modern reproductions are good guns and will make good hunting guns. Some are better than others but all are good. I would stay away from the early modern reproductions that came out in the early 60s. Many of them were just junk. The one exception is the T/C selection of reproduction muzzleloaders. They have been excellent guns from the start. They are not faithful reproductions of any original gun but are nice looking half stock guns......a bit flashy with all the brass but well made and good shooters if they have been well cared for.

If you want a gun for hunting deer, buy a .50 cal. or .54 cal. Any smaller and it may not be legal for deer hunting (this differs by state) any larger and it is overkill. If you want a gun for small game such as squirrel or rabbits, I would recommend something like a .32 cal, or a .36 cal. Any bigger will destroy the game.

Thank you very much everyone for sharing your expertise and experience. I wish I had the skills to make a flintlock from a kit but I don’t. I think TVM may be the best option but has any one used North Star West or Rustic arms.

You should also check out Caywood guns they make a Wilson cheifs gun that you can get a fifled barrel in stead of a smoothbore. If you get the rifle version get the .58 cal barrel I got the .50 since I had a lot of supplies for it, but its just a little muzzle heavy makes a great target gun just to let you know.

These guys are pretty knowledgeable here.

Make certain that you only follow their advice.

Good Luck!

PS.

TVM, Caywood, Rice Barrels, Chambers Locks.

Also, see Roundballs .62 cal. Virginia Smoothbore in the HUNTING JOURNAL AREA

Hey there Snider!

Just thought that I could possibly of some additional assistance. If you check this website out, you may get a better idea as to what you'd like to do:

www.avsia.com/tvm

PS.

"Love that Curly Maplewood"

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go with TVM you will be happy with the rifle. I have two they built and they are first rate. Wait is around a year for a custom build. Give them a call they may have one you like in stock

Look at the various muzzle loaders supply web pages. A lot of folks make guns and sell them there. I made mine, but those I saw looked like the shooting kind.
Flintlocks are the fun way to black powder shooting. The variables make it more of a skill.
Have fun.

Back