• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice on a good smoothbore gunmaker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ontario Hawken

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a .58 or .62 Cal. flintlock smoothbore for hunting.

What commercial or private gunmaker would you suggest I go with? I need a well build gun that will work well in the field - not showpiece, a wall-hanger or a gun that only goes to the range.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Jackie Brown periodically offers a nice new one for sale on the American Longrifle Site. If you want a really fine one, and don't mind the price, someone already mentioned Mike Brooks.

My first Custom Gun order was from Jackie Brown. Note, I did not recommend him.

The gun was nearly a year late.
It was not what I ordered.
Browning was still active.
Lock inlet had to be tweaked to seal excessive gap.
Since I paid up front, I was happy to get anything.
In fairness it's proved to be a pretty good gun.

A good friend of mine has a J. Brown Appalachian Smooth rifle with a round barrel. It's a neat gun the architecture is striking but he has to seal the lock barrel gap with black RTV so his lock will not blow off. It's not easily fixed as the side of the barrel was filed incorrectly.

Hated to bring it up but the all the guys mentioned so far are top notch except...

Kennyc said:
Is this going to be another bash a markers thread? :idunno:

When I shop for anything handmade, I like to hear from actual customers regarding fit, finish and overall quality, and also delivery time promise vs reality.

It's not necessarily bashing, but more prevention of walking blind into unforseen problems or delays.

As with just about anything specialized, polling the peers is the way to go. The net is full of end users who have not a clue or are "fan boys". Determine the price point you want to be at and then poll makers in the price tiers above that for their recommendation and you should get a good gun.

There is a Mike Brooks gun on the CLA site right now. Solid, well built basic gun by someone who knows what he is doing for 1400!!

Ontario Hawken said:
I need a well build gun that will work well in the field - not showpiece, a wall-hanger or a gun that only goes to the range.
I could have sworn I already posted to this...at any rate, as you can see there are many options to choose from.

I had my .62cal smoothbore built for hunting with a Rice barrel, Chambers Deluxe Siler lock, Davis double-set triggers, and used Super Premiun + + maple without a lot of frills / inlays / carvings, etc...just a top notch plank of wood without breaking the bank, built by Matt Avance/TVM. It's worked on time, every time in the field and due to its versatility will undoubtedly be the last hunting Flintlock I ever part with.

[/quote]

AZbpBurner said:
Kennyc said:
Is this going to be another bash a markers thread? :idunno:

When I shop for anything handmade, I like to hear from actual customers regarding fit, finish and overall quality, and also delivery time promise vs reality.

It's not necessarily bashing, but more prevention of walking blind into unforseen problems or delays.
I agree. Businesses have to accept that their customers will post both positive and negative comments, based on their personal experience. To do anything less would be unfair.

Back