• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need a permit to purchase a BP revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won a bid on GB for a flintlock this week. The seller who is a FFL Dealer and myself live in the same state (NY). I tried to pay for the item but seller refused to ship same to me and insisted on sending it to an FFL and said a NICS check is required stating it is the law. He could not specify what law and eventually admitted that he is just covering his own butt and will only ship to an FFL. Said he would report me as a non paying bidder if i dont complete the sale as prescribed by him. OH, and on his ad page on GB it clearly stated no ffl required. In NY, muzzleloaders are not defined as "Firearms" under state law and statutes, muzzleloaders are still defined under "antique" and thus not regulated.

Tell him to stuff the weapon, and write the gun broker staff and file a complaint with the folks who run the site for false advertising. In other words do not let the idiot black mail you.
This is great advice.

Absolutely do not let this seller get away with playing games like this... we have enough problems with the Gun Control nuts...we don't need FFL dealers doing weird stuff as well.

I'd try to figure out a way to send payment, because of the chicanery he's playing. Maybe even in person, with cash. Can't call someone a non payer if you've offered payment, can you? Turn the tables and point out he is the one that is failing to perform.

I brought 2 .44 bp revolvers 2 years ago from Cabela's here in Minnesota, paid cash and just walked out with them, no paper work.

Cabelas used to ship muzzleloaders, both long and short, anywhere. Now they have changed their policy. I know they won’t ship to NY now.

A lot of outlets won't ship to NY state period, because it's a mish mash of conflicting regulations depending on the county or city and the odd numbered side of the street, so they just don't want the hassle. Can't say I blame them.

As far as muzzleloaders go, muzzleloaders are defined and classified as ANTIQUE, both under the state statutes here in NY and federal ATF Law and not considered firearms as defined by both respective entities. ( an exception being possession of handgun muzzleloaders and any loading component, at which point it may become a crime) So shipping to this state is not a violation of the laws. I think most of what’s happening is policy enacted by companies, and mostly a CYA position out of fear of possibly liability.

Here in upstate New York you may purchase a black powder revolver and legally own it provided that you do not have the powder, ball and caps to shoot it.
If you have what is needed to shoot it then you must have a NY State pistol permit and have the gun registered on your permit.
Pistol permits upstate are controlled by each County Court. Applications are made via the agency that the Court has stipulated, usually the Sheriff's Department. They require finger prints, fees, back ground check including calls to references. They take anywhere from a few months to a year or more and then the Judge can deny it for any reason that he determines without notifying you of the reason.
NYC is a whole other thing. There have been some issues there with several attorneys offering to expedite your permit for a fee that was apparently shared with the NYC Police that were responsible for issuing the permits.
This is what we all may have to look forward to as Congress is looking at enacting a licensing requirement for all firearms.

Woody
If you live outside of NYC you still can’t take your pistol into NYC, unless you are rich and well connected because you need permission from the police commissioner

Yesterday was at one of my local gun stores here in Minnesota. This is a major retailer with (until the latest hysteria) over 4000 firearms of all types on display.

I asked the manager if their store required a Minnesota Permit to Purchase or Minnesota Carry Permit for a customer to buy a percussion revolver.

She said no, and that the ATF office had not contacted them in regards to any changes in the laws pertaining to that class of firearm.

Before someone says: "Yeah, but would the ATF bother to say anything?" I'll say yes, they will. I was employed at this store for two years and can honestly say we were notified when firearms laws changed.

Would the ATF notify a store or a law change made by their state’s legislature? The ATF would only be concerned with federal law I would think.

All I can say is that on more than one occasion the store was notified by either the ATF or the Minnesota BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension) as to changes to firearms laws and what procedures an FFL holder needed to use in the course of a sale.

Example: At one point in Minnesota if you had a valid Minnesota Permit To Carry an FFL holder was not required to conduct the NICS check for handguns or long guns. Instead all we as employees had to do was provide the carry permit info on the dealer's portion of the form 4473. After a matter of just a few weeks/months (I don't recall exactly) the Minnesota BCA changed their mind and we could no longer do that. We were notified of that decision and for the next few interminable months got to listen to customers telling us how wrong we were when said customers were told we had to perform the NICS check.

The ATF maintains a number of field offices across the country. While not in every state, Minnesota happens to have more than one. When ATF agents are auditing dealers those agents have to be aware of both the federal and state firearms laws.

Back