• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need a peep

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lyman 57 SML is the peep you need. The one thing I like most about the Layman is it is field adjustable. I have mine sighted in with my range finder. So if the shot is 100 I set it for 100. If the shot is 75 I can set it for 75. If the shot is 163 I can adjust it for as close as I can to that. No hold over or hold under.
Also I can take the slider out of the base and put it in my pocket to keep it from being beat up if I am riding an ATV or a Horse.
I added a shim between the tang and the sight to give me more yardage. They do work best with a globe front sight.

HawkenLock1.jpg

The Lyman is the best. For hunting like a fiber optic front sight, but the globe front sights by Lyman also work well. I use both. You can put a rear sight apterure with a larger hole for hunting in the patch box and use one with a smaller hole for target work.

I have the Lyman 57ML on my 50 cal. T/C flintlock rifle, with the globe front and a set of inserts, all mounted on a Green Mtn. "Drop-in" barrel.
For target shooting, it's an awesome setup. Where I hunt however is generally thick cover... often in low light conditions and I wouldn't even think about taking it in there.

I installed a #57ML peep and the corresponding globe front sight on my .54 cal. flint Deerstalker 'Grapefruit Gun'. It makes plinking small objects at 100 yards endless fun, and annoying to the shooters trying to sight in their scoped hunting rifles.

Idaho Ron said:
The Lyman 57 SML is the peep you need. The one thing I like most about the Layman is it is field adjustable.
Ron --have you made any tick marks of your own on the side of the sight (could you post a picture) or do you have a system to know where the factory tick marks will shoot?

BTW-- I think I have the Lyman 17AMI front Globe-- I ordered Lee Shavers "17A" disc and they are too small-- less than 1/2 inch diameter-- I went back and ordered the LS for "Large Lyman/Redfield (as described by Brownells).

These are on My "Hawken Squirrel Rifle" (.40)-- and i may just get the elevation thumb knob to go on the sight..

A better way is to take off the scale plate, flip it over, scratch your own marks on the clean side, and color them with a black felt tip marker.

Are you handy ?????...Make your own..No Kidding!
This ones costs about 2 bucks.
Can make them as fancy or plain as you like.
You will almost double your sight radius=Bonus.
Never had an issue with it mounted on the tang.
Its does not get in the way..the brass tarnishes up nice.
All my rifles have them...

IMG_00541_zpsbe6c4857.jpg

This is my 32 cal 42" bbl. squirrel rifle...with group.

P7120139_zps945ed1f0.jpg

Material
1 brass round head screw fine thread works good.
1/4" solid brass rod ....1/4"-3/8" long

use existing sights to mark your center line on the tang
remove tang
drill and tap tang for bolt threads..
install brass bolt
I fit the bolt so the screw driver slot is pointing at the front sight and flush to the top of the tang
round file a channel for the 1/4" rod in the slot.
drill out the center of the 1/4 brass rod..
I counter sink both ends of the rod to let more light in.
clean bolt and rod..solider together..screw into tang.
Drill a swallow relief hole under the tang if needed.
You can make one in less than an hour...
if you need more height add it.
Have even shifted them left and right to keep the front sight centered after a barrel reline using the same hole in tang.
Get as creative as you like..
More than one way to make a nice tang peep.

Very Simple peep sight...and they work!
here is the rod and bolt..
before the screw slot filed to shoulder the rod.

Wick E. made a nice looking one a while back.
Check out his posts.

PC130250_zpsd5vsoa4e.jpg

Back