• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

neck shot yes or no

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mort Scott

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have talked to a couple of deer hunters that would take a neck shot rather than a heart ,lung shot at close range ,say 50 yds, What do you think, I hunt with a 54.

I have in the past using cap locks with no problem but now using flintlocks I try to avoid this shot and wait for a better one.

I once shot a deer right thru the neck @ 25yds with a 35 marlin..he jus looked an continued walkin..then I shot in the Vitals...been a ml..i'd a never caught up with him...only artery an spine in there....if ya miss both. an it is possible....you could lose the deer...vital shot..is vital..imho :wink:

If I'm close enough for a neck shot, I would rather take a head shot. But even then I would try to wait, or re-position myself for a chest shot.

I once shot a deer in the neck with a .270 at about ten yards. The bullet went through the neck and blew out a grapefruit sized chunk out of the other side. I waited for the deer to drop, but it just walked off slowly until I dropped him with a second shot. If this can happen with a high-powered rifle, I think it could be worse with a muzzleloader ball. Bill

I have never done that with black powder, but have numerous times with a cf. If the opportunity presents itself, and all the stars seem to be in alignment, I will with my .54. I shot a bull elk at about 80 or so yards, all I could see was his head and neck as he was looking at me, and he dropped in his tracks. I didn't touch his spine or his arteries, but he was DOA. With a .280. It's not a shot to be taken by a novice, we used to shoot all summer so that we knew our rifles and how to shoot them. If there's any doubt, don't.

shot one in the neck with a CF and waited for him to drop, he didn't, ended up tracking him most of the day to finally catch up to him and put him down for good, he never even acted like he was hurt one bit. I'm sure if I hadn't dogged him down he would have been fine. Very little blood on this shot if you miss the main arteries.

Nope. In the neck you're hoping to hit a target as wide as three of your fingers (vertebra & blood vessels). Miss and the animal dies slowly - likely of starvation and infection if you perforate the esophagus. The heart is twice that wide and the lungs much, much larger. And there's still that spine over both. Better opportunity for a lethal hit.

Another vote for no neck or head shots, I always try to hit em right behind the front leg.

I always go for the lungs.
They can't go far with out air. Most of the time.

I passed up on a California neck shot on a pig, but my friend took it and dropped the pig in its tracks, but not really the same thing :wink: .

(California neck shot = shot taken at the only good aiming spot as an animal is going directly away from you :redface: )

Don't know how many deer I've killed with CF's from .243 up to .35 Whelen and they've all been neck shots but 3. Every one was instant kills, except the 3 (behind the shoulder). No, I'll take a neck shot anytime I can get it..Bud

Flash Pan Dan said:
I passed up on a California neck shot on a pig, but my friend took it and dropped the pig in its tracks, but not really the same thing :wink: .

(California neck shot = shot taken at the only good aiming spot as an animal is going directly away from you :redface: )
AKA the Texas heart shot! :haha:
I also would rather take the larger target of the heart/lung shot, I have tried to shoot one in the shoulders once due to the location (wanted it to drop on the spot) I guess years of bow hunting habits kicked in, when the trigger was pulled the sights were right behind the shoulder. Through both lungs and the heart it went. :idunno:

003.jpg
[/img] This is what happens when people try head and neck shots.

I almost lost my biggest deer I ever shot due to a neck shot. I took it due to a large roce over the vitals. I hit the deer and didn't hit the spine. I got lucky and the deer ran at me. I loaded again killed him. I got lucky. With a ML I will never shoot for the neck again. Ron

Latest posts

Back