• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Neck knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Meyer

40 Cal
Reaction score
Ive seen folks carry their small patch knives in a small sheath around their necks. Ive seen others carry bigger knives in beautiful quill sheaths around their necks too. Are "neck knives" historically accurate?" I'm thinking about getting a small patch knives and carrying it that way. I have a nice belt knife but it's kind of unwieldy cutting patching with it. When I shoot ar the range, I use one that's in my shooting box.

There was a big debate on this years ago. They were thought a reinactoism. Then we got a contemporary drawing of one.
We know they existed, but are not seen in drawings and paintings in general.
I would hazard they are more common today then in the past
I tried one found it a PIA every time you bent over it’s in your way…at least my way.
lots of foals love them

Neck knives are historically accurate if worn by native types and have a 6-7 inch blade. The little "patch knives" are pretty much historically accurate from 1995 on. The best use of a neck knife is to wear about town to announce "HEY, I'm a buckskinner" and would like to B.S. about the hobby.

I used to carry my 9.5 bladed knife via neck sheath while hunting, but it was under my heavy coat and did shift around. They are, as mentioned, a PIA if just hanging free AND there is a degree of danger in a fall if your sheath is not well made with a good welt.

Ive seen folks carry their small patch knives in a small sheath around their necks. Ive seen others carry bigger knives in beautiful quill sheaths around their necks too. Are "neck knives" historically accurate?" I'm thinking about getting a small patch knives and carrying it that way. I have a nice belt knife but it's kind of unwieldy cutting patching with it. When I shoot ar the range, I use one that's in my shooting box.

I carry a small skinning knife in my neck sheath. They are documented but as others have written, probably more like a 5"+ blade while mine is only 3", and all documentation shows them on natives, not white men. Now "Indian Dress" was also disapproved in a lot of places, and in fact Christopher Gist, close friend of George Washington was not allowed to speak to the general until he had swapped out his breechclout and leggings for knee breeches. However, over time "Indian dress" caught on, so perhaps the neck knife caught on for whites as well ???

LD

Back