• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Neat multiple boolit mold in a small package

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Cannon
Reaction score
Guy over on a forum which shall remain unnamed, made a unique and neat buckshot mold. He is neither a caster or shooter and made it up for a buddy of his. The design would also work for larger boolits and methinks will be seeing the major mold makers copying it.

S1090012a.jpg

S1090016a.jpg

LEE beat him to it by a few years with their buckshot molds for $63 including handles. Unfortunately those only come in #4, 00 and 000 sizes.

Buddy of mine picked one up, and another issue was exposed. As with most DC molds only moreso, there's variation in ball diameter.

If this guy offers a wider ranges of sizes and beats the diameter variation issues, that's a hot idea.

BB,
A hot idea is the key. Most DC molds cast variations because they are hard to keep hot enough to pour all the cavities with uniformity.
Mark

Stone Knife said:
Would double sprue spots affect accuracy?

On top of weight/diameter variations, my bud says it's an issue with the LEE mold. He's ended up using only the single sprue balls from the bottom of the strings.

No reflection on this guy's molds, but something to check if you get one.

What's the point?
They would be very heavy and tiring to use.
Uniform heat througout would be difficult to maintain.
Sizes are bound to vary.
Sprues have to be hand cut twice on most of them.
Double sprues would probably wreak havoc with accuracy.
They would be terribly expensive.
And....really.....just how much of a hurry are you in? With a single cavity mould I can cast hundreds in a few hours.

To each there own I guess. :idunno: As to the two sprues, getting kicked in the butt with several 1,000 psi and getting zipped down the rifling at mucho rpm and 1500 fps. Methinks when one's pristine ball exits the muzzle. tis pristine no mas.

I am just glad to see there are guys like him still around to experiment in making different things. :v

Much bigger package and from what I have read,, the Lee buck gang mold is a problem child.

There have been fishing sinker gang molds around since Christ was a child.

TANSTAAFL said:
Much bigger package and from what I have read,, the Lee buck gang mold is a problem child.

There have been fishing sinker gang molds around since Christ was a child.

I have the Lee molds for 00 buck and #4 buck, and you're right, they arent the easiest things to work with. I haven't tried them in any rifles, just smoothbores (both ML and modern) and they worked fine there, but would expect issues due to the sprue plates and size variations. Dont get me wrong, the size variations dont seem to make any difference when I am dropping a handful of them down the muzzle, so they do their job well, but I am expecting patterns instead of groups in that application.

as far as spru cutters go i have found that an electrician's multi tool works better than anything else. use the appropriate wire stripper with the flat side against the ball.= no more spru.

you can also run them through a vibratory brass tumbler awhile with no media and the sprue goes away :thumbsup:

Back