Navy Arms 1864 Springfield

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

wcubed

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I just picked this up on a whim. Apparently an early Pedersoli, as it has the bullseye mark? Two piece stock. It appears to be unfired, and the place I got it said the original owner bought it years ago for doing re-enactments, but never fired it.

What year is it? I thought I read the date of manufacture was a two letter code, but I can't find one anywhere.

hawkeye2

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Lack of a date code, Japan on the barrel, the type of wood and the "bullseye mark" = Miroku who was the manufacturer for Navy Arms till about 20 or so years ago.

Stantheman86

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Miroku 1863 Springfields are very desirable, widely considered one of the best repros.

wcubed

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen.

I almost forgot to ask, what caps would this take? I stopped at a place that had #11 caps, and they were too large.

hawkeye2

58 Cal.
Reaction score
It takes musket caps which are the largest caps avaliable, RWS is the brand I recomend. Number 11 caps would have been far too small rather than too large. If you can't find them you can buy a nipple that takes #11 caps, Track of the Wolf is one place. You would need to know the thread size. Number 11 caps would work just fine.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
But is it a smoothbore? Don't think so. However, just get some musket caps, a #11 nipple would be like putting 13 inch wheels and skinny tires on a muscle car. Sure...they'd work "just fine".

wcubed

36 Cl.
Reaction score
It takes musket caps which are the largest caps avaliable, RWS is the brand I recomend. Number 11 caps would have been far too small rather than too large. If you can't find them you can buy a nipple that takes #11 caps, Track of the Wolf is one place. You would need to know the thread size. Number 11 caps would work just fine.
Yes, #11 caps were too large. They would just fall off if I tipped the musket. Perhaps the original owner replaced the nipple?

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
There is obviously something wrong with my eyes, as the nipple looks to be exactly the same size as on all my ML rifles and carbines - ie. musket cap-sized.

hawkeye2

58 Cal.
Reaction score
There is obviously something wrong with my eyes, as the nipple looks to be exactly the same size as on all my ML rifles and carbines - ie. musket cap-sized.
The nipple in the photos is for musket caps and too large for #11s. A #11 couldn't possibly fit on so I wonder what size caps that place actually tried on the gun. That looks to be the original nipple and it may be so poorly shapeed that a musket cap might not stay on it. The manufacturers often provide a poor excuse for a nipple.

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
The nipple in the photos is for musket caps and too large for #11s. A #11 couldn't possibly fit on so I wonder what size caps that place actually tried on the gun. That looks to be the original nipple and it may be so poorly shapeed that a musket cap might not stay on it. The manufacturers often provide a poor excuse for a nipple.

The OP wrote in post #9 - 'Yes, #11 caps were too large. They would just fall off if I tipped the musket.'

What he MUST have meant was too small, agreed?

Stantheman86

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I recommend the OP look good at the bore, the Minie rifling is shallow and may appear to be a smoothbore just glancing down a dark bore , maybe it has rod wear?

Or, did Miroku make some smoothbore .58's ? Altered by a gunsmith for a reenactor for easier blank shooting?

wcubed

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I recommend the OP look good at the bore, the Minie rifling is shallow and may appear to be a smoothbore just glancing down a dark bore , maybe it has rod wear?

Or, did Miroku make some smoothbore .58's ? Altered by a gunsmith for a reenactor for easier blank shooting?
I think you (and the others) are correct. It looked like a smoothbore to me, because the unmentionable rifles I am used to have very pronounced lands and grooves compared to this.

My mistake. I had no idea the rifling was so shallow, never having seen it before.

Can someone move this to the correct section, as this picture does indeed show the rifling you refer to.