• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

M1861 Springfield Barrel and Stock Proof/Acceptance Marks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Lowe

32 Cal
Reaction score
Knowledgeable members,

I typically collect Helmets from WW1 and WW2, but as a opportunist collector, found what I think is a M1861 Springfield with a 1862 lock plate for a considerable good price. It being Winter in Massachusetts, one tends to amuse themselves with, lets take it part and really look at it.

Barrel has no date that is visible due to considerable pitting. The V P and Eagle is faint but looks to be associated to Springfield. Under side of Barrell is marked with initials of L.E.H. P. I can find no reference to these initials except as referenced on Barrels used by Mason in Taunton, MA.

Lock is dtd 1862 U.S. Springfield, but eagle is not present again due to pitting.

The stock has two cartouches, one horizontal the other vertical towards the rear. The horizontal one has a three letter code, with what looks like to be a A(3rd ltr,). Not sure if this is for Erskine S. Allin, as the ones I've seen the outside edge is oval vice rectangular.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Don

Attachments

• Barrel Proof.jpg
    Barrel Proof.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • VP Eagle.jpg
    VP Eagle.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Lock Plate 1862.jpg
    Lock Plate 1862.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Stock Flat 6.jpg
    Stock Flat 6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Stock Flat 3.jpg
    Stock Flat 3.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Stock Flat.jpg
    Stock Flat.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • Lock Plate.jpg
    Lock Plate.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Well if it's a Mason barrel from your research, and a Springfield lock, then it's safe to say it's a parts gun. I think I can make out an ESA in the one cartouche, but can't determine the others. Is the breech face marked with a series of letters? Does it have its hammer? Any other marks on the other metal parts? I wouldn't pay too much for it from what I can see.

I am not positive it is a Mason barrel, proof marks are L.E.H. Yes it has all of its parts, I just disassembled it to see what condition the parts were in. Breech Plug is marked with a small "s", Breech Face has a 7 (at the 9 o'clk position) on left side and possibly a K (7 o'clk post). Really just want to know who the Proofer L.E.H. was.

I didn't see it in any of my books. I have a 1862 dated Springfield as well, and it doesn't have any initials like you mention. Here's a pic of the cartouches for reference . Also if you Google images of 1862 dated Springfield's , the cartouches are always the same as in the picture, it doesn't show any vertically stamped.
20220312_100412.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like some Num Nut sanded the stock then varnished it. The last letter of the one Proof that I can sort of make out looks like the "A" in your stamp, same little curly cues on the A. The other stamp is to far gone. I'll try out in the sun this weekend to see if I can get a better bead on it. Here's another shot at it.

Attachments

• Stock Flat 6.jpg
    Stock Flat 6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
If you look directly above the one cartouche with the curly A, I see the remnants of another cartouche directly above it, just to the left of the black dot. I don't know what the vertical one at the end of the lock panel could be. Yes the stock is severely sanded, but you see that alot, unfortunately.

Thanks', Let me take it out in the Sun and look in that area and see what I can find.

Latest posts

Back