• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Narragansett Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best forum to start in, I'm trying to locate a fizzen spring for this gun. One of my on-line buys several years back. As I recall it was advertised as a Narragansett rifle. When it arrived it was pretty obvious there was a problem with the spring but while it lasted the fizzen showered sparks, the .50 caliber bore is mint. The seller refused to acknowledge the spring problem.

Anyway I'm hoping someone might be able to lead me to where I might find a replacement spring.

Attachments

• 20220814_073211.jpg
    20220814_073211.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220814_072940.jpg
    20220814_072940.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Pretty sure that this gunmaker is long gone but must have used a common commercial lock. That spring should be readily available. Someone who owns this same model will chime in with the specifics. Be nice to get that rifle going again.

I don't know when Narragansett Armes went out of business, but they built (or at least intended to build) a very interesting variety of historical guns and rifles. I have their catalog from 1999, with the year 2000 update inserted. The catalog shows full-length, lock-side views of their various offerings, with pretty good descriptions. The descriptions identify the type of lock which was used on each type of firearm.

A few of the guns, like their Brown Bess, the Spanish Catalan musket, and the English snaphaunce musket, used special custom locks, but most of them used regular commercial locks from Chambers, L&R, or Siler. However, I believe their guns were built to order, and some options may have been offered. From the two photos provided in the original post, I can't tell for certain which model of rifle you have. I see the double-set triggers, and that appears to be an iron or steel triggerguard. Knowing the model of rifle may help with identifying which lock was used. One page of the Narragansett catalog was devoted to showing the locks used on their firearms:

Narragansett Locks.jpg

However, even with these images right in front of me, I can't tell for certain which lock you have. That wide, flat-faced cock or hammer screw looks like the one used on Siler locks, but the shape of the lockplate is markedly different from the Siler, and the rounded pan and the frizzen screw with the external head suggest the lock is not a Siler at all, or an L&R Classic. It actually looks a lot like the L&R RPL-06-F lock with ornamental grooves added on the tail. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it kind of looks like it.

Regardless of the maker of the lock, your best bet may be to send it to Brad and Shane Emig of Cabin Creek Muzzleloading. Brad advertises in MUZZLELOADER magazine as "the Lock Doctor," and he really is a master of the craft. I'll bet he could get it fixed right up for you.

Good luck with this!

Notchy Bob

Back