• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scottish Cape Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought I would show a few pics of this cape gun I made a trade for this past spring. It is circa 1850 and is 50 caliber and 17 gauge. It is not in too bad of condition considering the year. There was a problem at some point with the mechanics of the left lock. So someone went to some trouble and converted the internals of the lock to a modern coil spring style. It functions very well. The bores do have some pitting but nothing that I would say is not shootable. The rifle barrel is actually very decent. 30" barrels and the gun weighs 9 pounds. The fellow I acquired it from was shooting it. The rib just says London Fine Twist. The locks say Davis. The fellow I acquired it from said it is of Scottish origin. I'm don't know if that is correct. Anyone else think it might be Scottish? It has Birmingham proofs.

Attachments

• DSCF8066.JPG
    DSCF8066.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCF8067.JPG
    DSCF8067.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF8068.JPG
    DSCF8068.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF8072.JPG
    DSCF8072.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF8075.JPG
    DSCF8075.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I had a shotgun that had a tag on it saying made in Scotland, and the proofs were birmingham. I had my doubts about that shotgun really being from Scotland, but Im certainly not an expert. Yours sure could be though.

Birmingham supplied barrels & components to the guntrade across UK by the tons - to anyone.
Looks more Birmingham std quality, not a British Best. (no PT vent, number of screws in lock plate, etc.)
Enjoy it and have fun.

Scotland did not have and still does not have a national proof house. The UK has two, one in Birmingham and one in London. The one in Dublin closed in the early years of the last century, in spite of there being some very fine gunmakers in that country, then part of the united Kingdom in total.

Yeah, I always toyed around with the idea of adding one to the collection but never did. When the owner of this one wanted to make a trade I figured "why not". While not a perfect specimen, it is functional and shows it's character of the past 170 years.

Latest posts

Back