• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Naming your guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My private name for my Zoli Zouave 10 gauge is "junk yard", because it's kinda crude and has a rough bore. I don't worry too much about what I feed it.

Since I have only percussion rifles….we’ll also my late daughters Ruger (pink) 10/22 named JR since she was named after my wife (SR).
3 Hawken rifles made by the late Doug Knoell (Tiger, Walker, Scruffy), my last one I assembled named for my late wife Rosie. I won two gold medals with her 2 months ago at our monthly match, very rare feat!
Also have a 50 caliber chunk gun made by Web Terry (Mr Terry), Pedersoli Gibbs named Gibby, a bunch of others that I forget! Hey I’m 77 finally…at least I can remember where they are!
John
I am 76 and I take a note with me when I go to the basement or attic. So I will know what I went there for.

The Big cannon is I presume' Mons Meg' at Edinboro castle There is a bigger at the Tower of London '.The Dardanelles gun.' what name other I can't say .The habit of nameing guns go's back to thier days Thier was a' Mad Marjory 'about that time & Noted Sportsman author Lt Col Peter Hawker had his ' Big Joe' &' Bloody Burnet' the Cripple stopper .I see I listed some of my named guns in page 2 of this thread , If Phil Coffins on page one pinned down the importance of naming guns . They named traction engines too I bought one off a relative of Ned Kelly but I could never probe him on it though I knew the history . He was working his old Ruston & he called it' Emma'
I says" You call it Emma?" He says" er " Bostard ! is what I call it ! ".
He was a fine gentleman he was 90 then & his Brother was visited by a friend His wife came to the door she says" Oh he's not well Geoff" Then from his bed shouts ''Oh it's you Geoff ? " followed by a frail " Have you seen any more Engines ?". Steam Traction Engines , both brothers where keen on preserving them.
Steam & black power are closely related .Both need to be coaxed & jollied to get the best of them , you can't just flick a switch & demand something .
Regards Rudyard
If you like steam and traction engines you will like this:
https://roughandtumble.org/

If you like steam and traction engines you will like this:
https://roughandtumble.org/
Dear Solenco it took me while to find the post Thankyou for the Steam Engine photos & had the Only Buffalo Pitts ever to go to England but the Australian market & the on terms aproach US makers or agents offerered made for many US engines sent to there such as Frick, Eclipse ,Keck Gonnerman, Case , Buffalo Pitts ,' Rackle to bits ''plumbers night mare' but fixable by any competant farm hand in places so remote from the cosey & common UK Engineering firms . The agents plate said New Zealand but I never heard of one here . It was UK Fowlers, McLarens, ,Robey, Aveling & Porter .Ruston ,Ransomes Ect depending on the ability of the agents . Pairs of Plough engines whatever suited the job & customer .Steam & Black powder are related you have to coax them both to get the best results !
Regards Rudyard

Yes,Blondie, Sadie, Frank, why,. Blondie color of her stock, Sadie is from AR, Frank he's old school

My .50 New Englander name is Hershel Magee

.54 Great Plains Rifle is Chester

I have a carbine by the name of Shorty.

Haven't thought of a name yet for my .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle, but I'm working on it.

I don't generally name inanimate objects. My guns are referred to at "the .50", or "the fusil". However, a while back my sons were trying out a new .62 jaeger style rifle I finished. One put it down on the bench after taking a shot and while rubbing his shoulder said "Wow, that thing is a thumper..." And thus it was named!

My four year old named my 4-bore drum-dragon because she booms like a drum and spits fire like a dragon.
IMG_20230201_202211.jpg

I am 76 and I take a note with me when I go to the basement or attic. So I will know what I went there for.
Right! At this point it's enough to remember the names of friends and family. No need to add to the confusion by naming guns. In another year or two I'm sure I'll be ready for a run at the next Presidential election.

Sounds like that GDPOS had a bad spell or possibly was trolled. Some of the hunters in the old days over here in Norway, during the percussion and flintlock hunting days, was firmly of the belief that their long arms could have bad spells on them and not hit true or even God forbid misfire.
A superstition in the Ozarks was a coffin nail in your gun could stop it from being hexed. Conversely a wife could hex her husbands in protected gun by tying an extra knot in her apron string, but that knot only worked for one shot.
A barrel could be removed from the stock and left in a creek bed over night of a full moon and that would wash any curse off of it.

I have 6 dogs and 3 cats. I can barely remember their names.
Haha, there`s two cats and 1 dog here. I know they have other names, but i call them Cat, Kitty and Dogg. I remember the dog`s name but the two cats names escape me. I also refer to them as the Shop Supervisors As thats where they live.
the guns, well i call them whatever the manufacturer named them

Haha, there`s two cats and 1 dog here. I know they have other names, but i call them Cat, Kitty and Dogg. I remember the dog`s name but the two cats names escape me. I also refer to them as the Shop Supervisors As thats where they live.
the guns, well i call them whatever the manufacturer named them
I have three dogs Shamus, O’Malley and my wives dog Rocky.
Generally have to go though all three names to get to the one I’m talking about. No specific order, the one I’m talking about it to always gets name called last

I don't generally name inanimate objects. My guns are referred to at "the .50", or "the fusil". However, a while back my sons were trying out a new .62 jaeger style rifle I finished. One put it down on the bench after taking a shot and while rubbing his shoulder said "Wow, that thing is a thumper..." And thus it was named!
If I had a jaeger I’m sure I would have to call it Mick
Had a friend who had a ferret it was named Fawcet, when I looked puzzled at him he smiled and said, “ you know, Ferret Fawcet”😊

I named my first pistol before the kit arrived, a 50 cal Kentucky pistol “Clementine”
I named my second kit as well, a 50 cal Kentucky long rifle
“Ellsbeth”
My third build, a Bounty Hunter, was going to be called Black Bess but I could not get the stock to go black/walnut well enough for that, so she gos nameless
My forth build is yet to happen, but she will be a Kibler Colonial in 50cal called “Bella”
Hey now, that Bounty Hunter rifle has feelers too, ya know.

Shame on you!

I've got a Thumper in my stable too. 100grs of powder behind a 535 grain No Excuses conical and it will thump you good! My 54 Dixie Hawken should go by BB. Black and blue. Until I figured out how to hold it I was pretty colorful!😏
That sounds like the same rifle that Patrick McManus had that he called "The Belcher" :)

Last edited:
Most of my dozen+ frontstuffers are un-named. But I do have names for a few that I'm particularly fond of. There's "Hefty", and of course there's "Sister One", "Sister Two" and "Sister Three".

48746404623_483ae6b0f8_c.jpg

31241061677_8e46f3f25e_c.jpg
Wowser! I'd love to have a rifle like "Hefty".

No name in particular but "Thundersticks" in general. As in "Hey boys, I think it's time to get out the Thundersticks!"

Back