• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Naming your guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5A3FE947-9F3C-4E0F-8B68-A2B7804CEDA9.jpeg
Only one. I named this Fusil de Chasse “Big Berthy “. When squirrels bark, it barks back!

My .61 bore flintlock TC Hawken is The Rattler because that's what it does to the house windows.
The octagonal to round barrel half inch bore flinter shotgun is Critter Getter.
The TC flinter Renegade fitted with a .52 bore paper patch barrel doesn't have a name 'cause I haven't figger'd out how much I like it.
The M1816 fitted with a sight on a spare replacement rear barrel band needs a name. But again, whatever would I call such a thing? Maybe Ol' Brunswick because it's about like throwing bowling balls.

The fast twist .40 bore half stock is little Sheba because I thought it would never come back from the barrel maker. But that one is percussion.😁

Any of you guys name your flintlock like they did in the past ? If so what? If not why not?

In the middle of building my first and even using a kit it seems to be ", coming alive"
Sure...
Trudy is my .54 rifle. It's short for Gertrude, which means "strong spear" and she has taken many deer.
Patience is my .40 rifle, because it took a long time to get to me from the builder.
Shorty is my serjeant's carbine... it has a shorter barrel than the Bess
Red is one of my tradeguns, because I chose to paint the stock with an oil based paint in a red color as they were sometimes done.

I have others, but they don't have names, yet....

LD

I have a really bad looking caplock I call Schadenfreude Susie, or Susie for short. Susie looks awful but if you want to shoot for money, I'm calling for Susie. I have a load Susie likes..... alot, like under 1in at 50yd out of a sewer pipe barrel, banged up stock and rusty lock.

My .61 bore flintlock TC Hawken is The Rattler because that's what it does to the house windows.
The octagonal to round barrel half inch bore flinter shotgun is Critter Getter.
The TC flinter Renegade fitted with a .52 bore paper patch barrel doesn't have a name 'cause I haven't figger'd out how much I like it.
The M1816 fitted with a sight on a spare replacement rear barrel band needs a name. But again, whatever would I call such a thing? Maybe Ol' Brunswick because it's about like throwing bowling balls.

The fast twist .40 bore half stock is little Sheba because I thought it would never come back from the barrel maker. But that one is percussion.😁
I’d like to see Rattler.

I have not, I do have a rifle that has served me well for almost 30 years, where I aim it hits. It probably deserves a name but I haven't yet.

I don't name them and never had anyone (in person) ask for their names but they do ask to see, hold or photograph them - and I never refuse as I like to encourage interest in the hobby.
Generally I keep track of them by style or builder.

My GRRW Hawken is LOOMSK, Swedish for sneaky. One of the deers seasons I sat in my favorite spot facing East, could see several trails and the wind was right. Had 3 deer over the course of the week sneak up on me from the West. They winded me before I could get a shot. The next day I faced West. As I sat, had a nice doe walk up on me from the East!!. She waited until I could turn and shoot her with the Hawken, made some good eating.
So "LOOMSK" it is.

Don

Back