• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Naming your guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 20ga fowler is “Ol Doc” after the gentleman I got it from, and my .54 Mike Davis made rifle is “Josiah” after my 5th great grandfather.

Attachments

• 5A959231-A432-45BA-8C70-1C6D805B539C.jpeg
    5A959231-A432-45BA-8C70-1C6D805B539C.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 0
  • AE55D0A9-E738-409C-A6ED-2BE973F16633.jpeg
    AE55D0A9-E738-409C-A6ED-2BE973F16633.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2498E185-5518-499C-9DF8-9C3FA41D5092.jpeg
    2498E185-5518-499C-9DF8-9C3FA41D5092.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 0
One story I read about an old trapper, made mention of the name he gave his rifle, "Tar-guts" I thought that was pretty clever, so I lovingly refer to my Hawken rifle by that name. I've never harvested an animal with it, only paper targets, so it's a fitting name.

I have never named a firearm? Do not know why, just never really thought about it. My brother had a Harley he called Lucile? Never had any other objects with names?

Last edited:
Most of mine have names. They have to stir a while with me until it hits me who they are… My two .62 Hawkins guns are LaReyna and Artemus. LaReyna is a half stock flint gun named for a pretty thing at the end of the Sante Fe trail.

My short .54 late Lancaster is Margaret after one of my daughters who’s is plainly beautiful, simple in her ways and coldly deadly in her demeanor when required. My .58 Tennessee is Evangeline, Eve, for short. It means “bringer of good news” and when she speaks…she does!

I don’t own my guns, I’m just keeping them for now until they move on down the road. Not to get spiritual, but I think things can be imbued with personality and meaning. The more important to us, the more they do. There is more here that we don’t understand, than that which we do.

Thought about naming one of my trucks Christine once…decided against it!

Pvt Pyle in "Full Metal Jacket" named his M14 "Charlene". Charlene barked twice that night, and a sad ending for Gunny Hartman and Pvt Pyle, no word on who was issued the rifle after that.

Any of you guys name your flintlock like they did in the past ? If so what? If not why not?

In the middle of building my first and even using a kit it seems to be ", coming alive"

Any of you guys name your flintlock like they did in the past ? If so what? If not why not?

In the middle of building my first and even using a kit it seems to be ", coming alive"
Meet Thumper, .58 caliber. I didn't name her Brian Speciale from Impossible Shots named her.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1577928330747.jpg
    FB_IMG_1577928330747.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
‘63 Short Rifle . I like it better than what some call “Zouave”. I have no problem what people call theirs if they use fun in the same sentence.
My revolvers I call Colt 60 Army ( reference - caliber ) , or Remington New Model Army. For short it’s Colt 60 or Remington Army.
There is a pattern in my naming.
And my flintlock is well. Since I have only 1 it’s kinda foolproof.
Call them what you want. Just be careful who hears you...

I had an unmentionable built just for hunting and a lot of hunters around here called that caliber buzzardguns. That is what I engraved on the barrel "BUZZARDGUN".

I’ve named one gun in my life…named that gun “Gawd D#@@&% Piece of S#@%”.

The gun was a .54 calibre CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle, that I had built from a kit…to hunt elk.

That fall, I had a bull elk at 15 yrds, full royals, 9 points on one side, 10 on the other, bulging like mad…gun miss fired on me twice. The elk would not let me call him back in for a 3rd chance. That gun cost me 3 huge elk that season. So yeah I named that gun.

After that season, I spent 6 months trying to figure out why the gun would shoot lights out from the bench, but if you took it for walk, at all, it misfired every fricken time. Was it possessed?

Only gun in my life that I sold without regrets….

My Old Virginia rifle with a 46" barrel, was named "Queen" course she is so gracious and shoots like one!
And my first flint lock rifle of the the Lehigh valley style, was named "Princess" course she tended to give me a princesses kiss every time she barked! ( Traded this one of and regretted it ever since..)

My Twigg officers fusil smooth bore in .69 cal. is named "Broken heart" course i broke and repaired the stock twice and both the times it was heartbreaking...! Now more she works like a charm, but the name sticks.

Then there is the "French wench" supposed to be a nameless and shortened French "Fusil de Chasse".

Those few, is the only ones among a number of muzzleloaders who I named. Naming especially a flintlock who has real soul and that feels good to take to the range or out hunting is not strange! You put a name to what you love, like your dogs for instance.

I’ve named one gun in my life…named that gun “Gawd D#@@&% Piece of S#@%”.

The gun was a .54 calibre CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle, that I had built from a kit…to hunt elk.

That fall, I had a bull elk at 15 yrds, full royals, 9 points on one side, 10 on the other, bulging like mad…gun miss fired on me twice. The elk would not let me call him back in for a 3rd chance. That gun cost me 3 huge elk that season. So yeah I named that gun.

After that season, I spent 6 months trying to figure out why the gun would shoot lights out from the bench, but if you took it for walk, at all, it misfired every fricken time. Was it possessed?

Only gun in my life that I sold without regrets….
Sounds like that GDPOS had a bad spell or possibly was trolled. Some of the hunters in the old days over here in Norway, during the percussion and flintlock hunting days, was firmly of the belief that their long arms could have bad spells on them and not hit true or even God forbid misfire.

Sounds like that GDPOS had a bad spell or possibly was trolled. Some of the hunters in the old days over here in Norway, during the percussion and flintlock hunting days, was firmly of the belief that their long arms could have bad spells on them and not hit true or even God forbid misfire.
Yeah it had issues…

Back