• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Naming your guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Ash’s boomstick.

Attachments

• 1DB96F48-8102-4D77-957B-56A2364A63F3.jpeg
    1DB96F48-8102-4D77-957B-56A2364A63F3.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
Some of my rifles have a name, not a original or curious name, just their ordinary name :
- The oldest Tryon Match Pedersoli (~40 years old), my favorite rifle : "Mon vieux fusil" (my Old gun).
- The two other Persoli Tryon (Match and Target) have no name.
- The Pennsylvania I prefer is called "Mon vieux silex" (my Old flinter".
- The last one that has a name is a very old plain rifle Dikar (Jukar/Ardesa/Traditons) : "Mon vieux fusil de chasseur" (My old hunter's rifle).
None of the others have a name and the Sharps Sporting 59/63 54 cal. (paper or linen cartridges) doesn't have one either, they just have the name of their model...

Well though they don't themselves answer to any name, I have a' Felix' a 45 rifle 'After' Felix Werder '.&..Snappis 'it being a Scots snaphance also 45 cal .Another is ' NZ Poorboy 'because it was made simple of rejects. Then theirs' Pebble gun' originaly a 24 bore flint rifle got up from oddment rejects . But sold on & a new ' Pebble gun 'evolved with many of the old one's optional barrels . It was derisively called' Pebble gun ' by a friend who didn't do flintlocks .
I don't call them anything but record their shooting under those names' Old 490'.' Two grouve' ect ect .
Cheers Rudyard

Some of my rifles have been given names by others. I have a Shiloh Sharps #1 Sporter that has thrown thousands of rounds on silhouettes. It seldom missed a pig and my spotter named it “porker.” I then used a Remington Hepburn for silhouettes. She was named Kate after Katherine Hepburn. My son named my English Sporting Rifle “Buster” because “whatever is shot at, it will bust her.”
My other guns are nameless.

I will name cars but have never thought to do it for a gun. if i had to name them all i would be in trouble. I don't think I would remeber which one is which.

Never named a gun , but one day hunting deer with a brand new scratch built long rifle , I made a 125 yd shot on a big doe. I looked down at the new rifle in surprise , and asked the rifle , if it had just done that? It said not a word, but I was happy. That .50 was a great rifle , and used it until a .62 Jaeger , caught my eye. Like it's predecessor ,the .62 Jager rifle , killed it's share of cervids for me , as did the rifles that followed the Jaeger , all yet unnamed , but they stand in my memory ,as good rifles. Glad I was blessed to use them , and know of them. ........oldwood

All my are named...perhaps nickname may be a better description.
Nice short name so when talking with firearms friends (or making notes on projects) its easier to describe and track.

I've posted this photo before on the forum. I built it 41 years ago and never named it. For various reasons it was a closet queen until last year when I shot a javelina with it. For now I call it Miss Piggy.
(I know, javelinas aren't pigs).View attachment 147948
They are not pigs, but they could fool just about anyone into thinking they are.

Back