• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

n.y. youth hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone can hunt in Michigan with an X-bow they out sell compunds 2-1 anymore there. Its all about the state selling license fees which is suppose to go to maintain state land and game. Hmmm I know two peices of state land that was just bought and turned into a gold course that is a members only club that even if I wanted to play gold there I couldn't. Tradional to me means side lock smoke pole, or longbow/recurve wood shafts for arrows only.. Now I do own an inline and it does flat out shoot sabots better then 1" MOA at 100 yards off a bench. But I can count on one hand the number of times I have used it. But I only used it during modern gun since to me thats what it is.. But again it opens the hunting up to more people and the state sells more licenses. I like states that have true tradional seasons, and I have belonged to a hunting club that had a great QDM program and you had to hunt true tradional, maybe thats what we need to do is bound together lease and manage property with like minded people just a thought.

I am used to manage a bow shop in Michigan before I joined the Army and run one now out of my garage what questions do you have. And to support Cynthia the x-bow was the first "known" weapon banned for combat because it was considered to lethal and could penetrate armor. Yes its a primitive weapon but not in the compound sense where you reach speed over 350 fps. Don't get me wrong I will sell them all day long to make a few bucks, but doesn't mean I'd use one or support the use unless its a medical requirement such as my father has and he uses one.. Just Saying

Most X-bows are effective out to around 40-50 yards but lose a lot of velocity and kenetic energy passed that even with quality x-bows pushin speeds over 340 fps. The arrows are shorter most are 20" then average arrows and drop at a faster rate over larger distances. I dont recommend anyone shoot past their own personnel max range regardless of what the bow can do. Any bow compound or x-bow is equally effective just determines who the operater is and both can kill out to and sometimes beyond 70 yards but not recommended especially in the woods the arrows arch and often time catch branchs and get deflected, thus taking close range shots. The only true benefit of an x-bow over a regular compound is the not having to physically draw the bow when the deer is in close and risk moving yes ya still have to shoulder the x-bow which requires movement as well but not like drawing and achoring in for a shot with a compound or recurve. Other then that there is no real difference between speed, or killing ability, other then most quality x-bows have a scope on them, but counter point you can use a rectifying sight on a compound to.

When was the crossbow banned for combat and by who?

And do you really need the comparison of crossbows and inlines explained?

To easy good thing I was a Military history major in school.. Can. 29 of the Second Lateran Council under Pope Innocent II in 1139 banned the use of crossbows against Christians in battle becoming the first weapon banned for combat use.
As for the explaination between x-bows and inlines I an fully versed and educated in both but thank you. As long as they are legal for use during archery/muzzleloading season people will buy them over traditional equipment hands down. As a business man that run a bow shop, muzzleloading shop they sell all day long, do I use them nope do I sell them hell yes its what the consumer wants and demands.. Can't fault a man for making a few bucks, the Army doesn't pay enough to support the family and live the fun life as well a man has to do what he has to do..

I would however love for you to make a comparison against x-bow vs compound bow out to a range of 50 yards. And the same comparison for a sidelock muzzleloader vs an inline out to a distance of say 125 yards. Here I will do it for you with the bows they are dead equal at standard killing range an x-bow is no more accurate then a compound in the hands of a skilled shooter, they only difference the shooter doesn't manually have to draw the bow and hold it back.. News flash holding the draw weight of the bow while using your back muscles properly allows you to hold steadier and be more accurate then shooting a x-bow offhand. As for the gun comparison a scoped inline has an advatage over iron sights yes agreed however many people have scopes on there sidelocks such a t/c/ and cva guns. If comparing iron sight to iron sight at a range of 125 yards or closer the guy shooting the longrifle has the advantage hands down, the gun is heavier thus leading to a steadier hold on target, the barrel is longer thus offering better accuracy especially at longer ranges, and it has a longer sighting plan as well. Now if the states we hunt in says no scoped guns during muzzleloading season your at a dead debate, because they offer nipples for percussion rifles to shot 209 primers from a longrifle as well so it kills that debate issue as well. Sure you can jam 150 grains down an inline, and shot a sabot. You can with a well built longrifle too. I know a bunch of guys that shoot 120 grains from a 58 cal all day long. So where does it leave us my friend in this debate ban the use of scoped optics during muzzleloading season and everyones on a level plane. Unless you can argue with simple logic you shall see my points are valid. Heres my credintials as well 11 times combined I have qualified to competed in the indoor and outdoor IBO world championships shooting a bow, have been in bow business better then 20 years, Army sniper, long range marksman training, squad designated marksman, basic rifle marksmanship instructor, and small arms master gunner, in addition to being on the all army marksmanship team for 4 years, competing in competetive archery, and numerous rifle events.

Yeah, you seem to put your credentials in every post, most impressed, you've done well for yourself.

But why then do most people today gravitate to crossbows and inlines over more traditional equipment? I'll say it is because it is easier. You can teach someone to shoot either in basically one session. Although they are bigger and clumsier, is it not an advantage to not have to hold back a crossbow indefinitely while waiting for a shot. To me 90% of bowhunting is knowing what movement you can get away with, and when.

So the crossbow was banned against use on Christians.... but it could be used against everyone else? That seems like a selective ban.

And how is it that you have so much computer time, with so much to do, and in a forward post at that?

Well thats a good question the war is fought with power point it seems sad but true. Thus meaning I spend large amounts of hours behind a PC doing briefing slides and every other kind of slide know to man..

Well somebody has to do it. :wink:

I truly hope you never see worse, although I know someone has to. Thank you for what you are doing.

Back