• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mystery rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pattern 1853 Enfield? (aka "3-Band Enfield")

Pattern1853Rifle.jpg

I've got a decent lamp...I will be happy to trade with you :) For $20 it is a very nice find.

Pattern 53/3 Enfield rifle-musket. There should be markings on the lockplate and the barrel. Typical lock marking for most is TOWER or ENFIELD and a date in front of the hammer and a crown behind. Some are also marked London Armoury in front of the hammer. There are a few others floating around with other maker's names such as Barnett. It looks as though rust and crud have obscured whatever is on yours. On the left side of the barrel at the breech there should be some proof marks and the number 25 stamped in. This is the gauge number (caliber). There should also be assembly marks inside the lock.

If this a rifle made in Birmingham by one of the BSA makers, this is a handmade gun and will bear marks of the various workmen such as stockers, lock filers, &c. The Enfield and London Armoury rifles were machine made.

I don't believe that we're supposed to give estimates on what a gun is worth on here, but I can say that it's worth many times more than what you paid for it if it's an original. By the way, don't be aggressive in cleaning it. If you go to scrubbing real hard or sanding it and such you will ruin its value as a collectible. I only dream of finding something like this at a yard sale. And believe me, I have looked hard!
:thumbsup:

If you plan to shoot it make sure you pull the barrel and look it over real good. A gunsmith friend of mine was given a Golden Age flintlock that apparently had been used for a lamp. When he pulled the barrel he found that someone had drilled a 3/8" hole in the bottom of the barrel near the breech to run the electrical cord through. Then after they took the lamp apart they plugged the wood so you couldn't see the hole in the wood.

Needless to say, if he had loaded it and shot it, he would have lost a hand.

Many Klatch

:shake:
Thanks for the warning. But i have no intention of firing this thing. Unfortunately there is a hole drilled into the top of the barrel. A real shame someone would actually do this to such an old gun. Go figure?

Back