• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My New Trade Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the wonderful Fort de Charters rendezvous today with full intentions of buying a few odds and ends and the obligatory sack of kettle corn.

Well, I came home with this:

View attachment 225768

A nice fella by the name of Rick Howard was selling a few guns, and this northwest trade gun just spoke to me.

It’s a 20 bore made off a Pecatonia River kit. I noticed how nicely it was made and it shouldered beautifully. Rick let me know it was brand new minus test firing and we struck up a deal right then and there.

I also bought a neat shooting pouch and some accessories from Larry Callahan including a ball puller and tow worm plus one of his bag molds for my .40 caliber squirrel rifle.

Great turnout at the fort today and had a great time conversing with the folks there. Sure didn’t think I’d buy a gun but am so excited to get this one to the range.

Thanks all!
Wow - Love the Trade Gun and your pictures, Congrats on the find! Wish you the best in load development and it should be a lot of enjoyment if it shoots as well as it looks.

Seems like some of us are almost as excited by the mention of Kettle corn, which my missus really enjoys but the doctor has forbidden me from partaking (digestion issue). [She buys it on Wally marts website for those interested]

Hey Andy, sorry i was with my goods full time by my self never had time to wander. till after public left for the day kinda ended up forgetting about your hog i hate that i missed finding ya'll i was feeling pretty whipped by the end of sunday.

Hey Andy, sorry i was with my goods full time by my self never had time to wander. till after public left for the day kinda ended up forgetting about your hog i hate that i missed finding ya'll i was feeling pretty whipped by the end of sunday.
Not a problem rick, other than me be really tied up with cooking it was way too hot to walk around anywho.

Just to connect the dots on a couple of items of discussion...
If y'all have any huntable populations of wild hogs out there, the next rime you are wanting a pig for roasting, take along a bag of that kettle corn (stale stuff is fine.)
I poured some out one time as bait while bowhunting at the club I was in a few years back... A full half-mile away downwind from me, I instantly heard squeals and grunts that sounded almost like roars... 5 minutes later, a sounder of about 20 hogs from 60 to 300 lb. came crashing out of the brush at a dead run to go after the corn...
Quite a show as they fought over what was there. They were so close up on me I got a little spooked by all the tusks flashing and popping that I missed my shot with my longbow.
I now check with the vendors anytime someone is making it at powwows, etc., in order to get as much stale unsold stuff as they will sell me cheap.
The trade gun IS gorgeous, btw, and the accessories sound like a nice matchup for it, especially the beaded strap!

Latest posts

Back