• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My sons new camera

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel Hayes

Collector of cheap antiquities
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
He got some good shots, but still figuring out how to edit.
I was pretty impressed.
551BDB4E-21FE-40B4-9896-0CE97A009697.jpeg
40BF40D4-E1EC-4609-8286-454349B2B36F.jpeg

551BDB4E-21FE-40B4-9896-0CE97A009697.jpeg
594A05BA-1A06-4786-942E-DC517629629D.jpeg

Attachments

• 58B11118-3F98-4108-B975-A9BA9F4D009D.jpeg
    58B11118-3F98-4108-B975-A9BA9F4D009D.jpeg
    11.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 0F84A87E-2A61-4CD1-A813-A233FD709B48.jpeg
    0F84A87E-2A61-4CD1-A813-A233FD709B48.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
A few years ago , at the range , my neighbor took a movie , with his new cell phone of a .50 cal. ball fired by me at 50 yds. , as it flew to the target. He simply put the cell phone in a movie mode , and held it's eye up to the 20 power input lense of the spotting scope , and bang , we could review the ball's flight to the target. Now that was unexpected , at least by this old fart. I just shake my head at some of the stuff can be done , nowadays.

A few years ago , at the range , my neighbor took a movie , with his new cell phone of a .50 cal. ball fired by me at 50 yds. , as it flew to the target. He simply put the cell phone in a movie mode , and held it's eye up to the 20 power input lense of the spotting scope , and bang , we could review the ball's flight to the target. Now that was unexpected , at least by this old fart. I just shake my head at some of the stuff can be done , nowadays.
was it the actual ball or a vapor trail, I know with the un-mentionable you can catch the flight of the projectile bye watching the vapor trail.

I like it
It’s interesting the color of your shirt changed twice by a setting the camera(I’m guessing).
Actually three different colors. Just noticed that after you brought it up. It is the same shirt in all three as the lower left front corner of the shirt is missing a small piece. Very clear photos.

Last edited:
Appalachian..........I'm in no way an expert on the vapor trails of bullets. The caliber was .50 , with 80 Gr.FFFG , so I have no idea the velocity of the .490 patched round ball. It was a cool clear day weather wise. This situation doesn't compare to an unmentionable .22 cal. long range groundhog rifle I posessed , that had a velocity a little over 4000 feet per second. On a hot humid summer afternoon , at times , a vapor trail could be detected by the naked eye. I just have little knowledge other than what this experience shows.

Just saying, curious that a set up as you mentioned with a camera would capture even a round ball in flight without special filters or what not, I am no photo guru, perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge will chirp in. I do know from long distance shooting un-mentionables at times you can track the bullet from the vapor trail, but the weather conditions need to be correct. Ohh I spell the tag name appalichian hunter, there's another appalachian something here also thats a spelling professor, wouldnt want to up-set him.

I'm no phone guru , and with no cell svc . at home. I use a small flip phone away from home. I have no details of how my phone wizzard neighbor set up his expensive phone to capture the images through the 20 power spotting scope , that day at the range.

Several years ago when I had those awesome 20 something eyes,my EX and I was shooting my 50 cal TC Hawkins over a frozen pond the ice was real dark and the ground was covered with snow and sun was real bright,when one of us was shooting the other could see the .490 ball in flight by standing just off the side enough to stay out of smoke.

I,ve tried doing it again a few times through the years but I guess just never could duplicate conditions perfectly.

nice use of the vignette tool (darkening in corners to make center image pop). It's Increbibleto me the post-capture editing programs included with the phone/cameras. If only folks would learn to rotate their images so that the objects are shown in normal viewing position instead of upside down or sideways. It's so easy and simple.
Oh, BTW very nice photos!

I have a friend who is a professional photographer, mostly wildlife and B&W nudes.
About a year ago he got one of those new super high end cameras and was posting photos of some Falcons he took in full dive mode - Incredible!

Back