• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My second and third powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

statetrooper62

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After my first powder horn, a very simple one, I try some carving with buffalo horns, american buffalos from a french farm in PERIGORD county.
The little powder horn is more a horn day than a primer horn.
About the big powder horn, the plug is fitted with a filling stopper, a cork from a bottle of some famous scottish liquor.
The stapple on the plug is a bended rusty old wrought iron nail found in my father's barn.
The horn stoppers are from Track of the Wolf.
The little horn is matt polished. The big horn is brightly polished.
I'm a little bit proud of these products.

CIMG6131_zps5f2f2d84.jpg

CIMG6130_zpsb7632bb5.jpg

CIMG6128_zps6baaabf8.jpg

thanks

I'd like to see some of the tools you guys use,like to get that carved around area and such.Those are way nice.Buffalo horn?The ones i have(on skull) are more like hair,how do you get them so smooth?

Moonthunder, its ALOT of work to get most buff horns to look pretty!
As far as tools, Files, rasps, scrapers, are the norm if you scrape 'em right you don't need sandpaper, but I also use various grits of sandpaper down to #0000 steel wool for a smooth finish.

As for the Horn work, I think they're looking pretty good! I know my second horn didn't come anywhere near them! :thumbsup:

ST62...My hats off to you on your powder horns :hatsoff: , but don't really like to work with bison horns myself, as they smell more like bison butt while scraping or filing! .. But that's just me and I still get someone wanting one, now and then!

Don't know about that cork fill stopper thing, as I can see that popping out over time and dumping all of the expensive black gold on the ground!

Keep it up and thanks for showing us,
Rick

Niiiice!
I finish mine with steel wool and then black acrylic paint. The paint kind of fills the little cracks that you never seem to get out, and polishes real nice.

Nice work, trooper! I liked your use of the OLD iron nail for your staple. When I made my first powder horn I used very old wood for the stopper. My feeling is: if you are creating an historical reproduction put some real HISTORY in it!

Looking very good.
Not everyone goes to the trouble of importing the whole buffler thousands of miles across countries and oceans just to get their horns. :thumbsup:
Well done.
What are the little white inlays made from?

Mike Brines said:
Niiiice!
I finish mine with steel wool and then black acrylic paint. The paint kind of fills the little cracks that you never seem to get out, and polishes real nice.
Mike, Next time try some black Kiwi liquid shoe polish and hand buff when dry!

Rick

thanks for your appreciations. :hatsoff:

The cork filler fits tightly in the plug as cork is a little bit flexible.
With intensive use it will probably loosen but as I'm not a hunter only a shooter on shooting range and powder horns are forbidden by MLAIC so my horns are only for decoration but I try to make them as usable as possible.

There is no inlays on the horns. The white color you can see in the carving is the dust that remains after drilling.

As gus13 says, my tools are files, raspes, scrapers, sandpapers .... and sweat, and a dremmel to drill the little holes.

On the little horn, the tacks are thumbtacks. About the big horn, the tacks are upholstery nails.

The american buffalo horns come from a french cattle station. It's a bit difficult to find cow horns in France. For safety reasons, farmers cut them off as soon as they grow out of the skull. The last cow horn I purchased came from Track of the Wolf.

The american buffalo horns come from a french cattle station

My comment about importing buffalo just for the horns was a bit of a feeble attempt at Yankee humor. I was certain you didn't import those big animals just for the horns.
You may now laugh. :grin:

Ok sort of figgered that as i did some raspy old horns on a regular cattle bull skull awhile back,sort of tuaght my self they were giant raspy fingernails.I thought maybe there was something you did different for the Buff horns.I did learn very fast to wear a dust cover and eye cover,i think i slept with my eyes wide open one night. :shocked2: :(
And for some reason i never thought of putting them in water either :slap:

I am so fond with powder horn making that I even went to Africa to pick up a horn for my fourth powder horn. To be seen on the next episode.:wink:

Latest posts

Back