• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My precussion problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laubert75

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently was given a old percussion long rifle. its got no words or anything on the barrel, but i assume its a .36. anyway, my problem is, the nipple wont come off, i believe due to age and miss-treatment. what would any of you reccomend for getting off this nipple? also the stock has a crack in it. what would you reccomend i apply to it?
thanks for the help

First, make sure there the gun is not loaded. Then, I would take the barrel out of the stock and address the nipple issue. It may require a good soaking in a penetrating oil or it may need carefully drilling out. It is hard to determining without having the gun in your hands. While the barrel is out of the stock, I would address the crack. Again, not seeing how it is cracked, it may be a simple repair or it may become more involved. BUT, I haven't seen a break yet that can't be repaired. BUT............BE CERTAIN THE GUN IS NOT LOADED FIRST.

Ok, i was just looking the long rfle over, and i found a series of words that i believ say
"firearms intl corp washington DC" on the barrell, and near the hammer, it says "Made in Brazil" does anyone reconize these words?

Apply penetratring oil to the nipple, then LIGHTY tap the top of the nipple with a small hammer a few times. Do this a couple of times a day for a few days. The tapping will loosen the threads enough to let the oil penetrate. I've been doing it that way for years on rusty exaust bolts. You have to be patient.

Stubert's technique will work, after a few days apply some heat to the nipple also. MAKE SURE THERE IS NO CHARGE IN THE BARREL. the heat will enhance the penetrating oil.

If memory serves, Firearms Int'l was a huge importer of guns, mainly military surplus rifles, very active back in the 60's. They probably had little or nothing to do with the manufacture of the rifle in question.

swquiro said:
If memory serves, Firearms Int'l was a huge importer of guns, mainly military surplus rifles, very active back in the 60's. They probably had little or nothing to do with the manufacture of the rifle in question.

That would be correct,and up into the mid 70's.
FIE was their trade mark, I have a 12 ga double they imported and it is a good shotgun.

threads might have been messed up before you got ahold of it. the other guy might have fixed it not to come out. epoxy glue etc.

Back