• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

J. Henry & Son lock problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just received word today that the lock off of my J. Henry & Son rifle is beyond any reasonable repair. Would anybody have an idea where I could find a replacement lock or a lock that could be made to work on this rifle. It’s a .30 cal. percussion rifle.

Start off with the locks listed in the Track of the Wolf online catalog. Print out the pages and compare these full-sized printouts to your lock. Pay particular attention to hammer placement, sear lever to trigger arm and lock bolt location. You will have to drill and tap the lock plate. You may find a lock that is close, and the internal parts can be installed on the original lock plate.

Send the lock to Brad Emig of Cabin Creek. He may be able to restore the lock.

If it’s an original I’m not sure I’d try to turn it into a shooter. For me it depends on rarity and collector value.

Decided that the lock wasn’t any good like it was and didn’t think I could hurt it any more than it already was. A friend and I got the lock apart and found the bridle to be in 3 pieces. There had been a repair done on it looks like about a hundred years ago. Got those pieces lined up and held in position and had a really good machinist/welder wire weld the pieces back together. Got the bridle filed back into shape and all I have to do is drill rhe pivot hole back in it and it will work like a new one. Only thing left after that is get the broken hammer screw out and replaced. Won’t mention who the dummy was that broke the screw. Should be back in operating condition in 3-4 days. Yay for our side.

Lock is back together and it works perfect. All parts in this lock are original to the rifle except the hammer screw. Got the hammer screw out and threads repaired. Just waiting on a screw from Dixie Gun Works and this rifle will be in good shooting condition. I did not totally restore this rifle. I just cleaned up everything back to original including the finish on the stock and repaired the lock.

Back