• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
thought you might like to see my BP pistols. Two 1858 uberti remingtons - 1 36cal 5&1/2 barrel, 1 44cal. Lyman 44 cal kentucky pistol and a Traditions 44cal Pioneer pistol--cheers zodd
DSC06881.jpg
[/img]

oops may have posted this in wrong section-moderators feel free to move to 'photos'--cheers zodd

Very nice Zodd,
excuse my ignorance, but I thought the Australian Government toke the guns away from you good folks down under???
What gives. MJD

Well MJD they didnt take all guns away(took some such as autoloading rifles, pump action shotties--need to apply for a special licence to own)and made others harder to get ( such as high cliber pistols- anything over 40cal needs a commissioners permit). You can have pistols if you have a 'genuine' reason and the only genuine reason is if you are a member of a gun club and a target shooter who is a member of appropriate registered organisation.You cant own a pistol for self defense or for hunting in australia as they are not considered a 'genuine' reason :idunno: . You can have rifles for target shooting or hunting but again not self defense. With pistols you have to comply to certain requirements (attendances at club shoots etc)Black powder firearms all need to be registered just like any other firearm ( including air rifles and pistols) in Australia. I own over a dozen pistols and probably the same, if not a few more rifles. There are also quite stringent 'safe storage' requirements( have to be locked away in police 'approved' safes unless at shooting range) for all firearms but esp. pistols. Of course this only applies to the law abiding firearms owners, the goblins take no notice of the firearms laws at all :wink: --cheers zodd

Sorry to hear what they have done to you firearms enthusiasts there. In the US the media tells us that they have taken them away from you. I see it is pretty close but not quite that.

My friends in Canada tell me that their gun control laws are about the same as yours. The UK is about the same as well maybe a bit worse. BUT it seems funny I can own a suppressor but it costs me nearly a $1000 for the "can" and $200 for the stamp and in the UK the can is about $100 and no stamp...

US gun control laws have actually relaxed a bit in the last several years. The AWB went away and far more states are allowing concealed carry than before. In fact only two do not allow it now. Of the states that do allow concealed carry far more of them are now shall issue instead of may issue now as well. It seems that the crime rate has dropped in that time frame as well but the media wdoesn't like to talk about those things(I wont claim it is because of the relaxed laws BUT it is a conclusion one could draw and it would be extremely hard to refute given the evidence).

Where I live we are trying to get the laws relaxed even more. At the moment I can carry openly or concealed with a permit and we are trying to make it so nearly anyone can carry openly and only need a permit to conceal. Also I believe we can now (with permit) carry into state and federal parks whereas before we couldn't do that.

Hi TV- yes the laws here are a bit restrictive but at least we can still own pistols for target shooting, i think in Britain you can no longer have pistols at all ( BP excepted?).Interestingly in my state New South Wales applications for firearms licenses have been increasing dramatically for the last few years and the shooting sports are having a bit of a resurgence. We even have our own party, the Shooters party that has two elected members in the senate of state parliament ( much to the chagrin of the Greens)--cheers zodd

Zodd I believe that in the UK one can still own handguns but they must remain at a gun club... I could easily be wrong.

Hi Zodd

A bit complex really. Muzzleloaders are licence free, although we need permits for the BP - a formality though. Cap and balls are a grey area which has besides confusion, also caused C&B's to be impossible to import as they are neither fish nor fowl. As I only recently accuired mine, I am not even sure if I will be allowed to keep it in the long run. I am a member of the Cape Town Muzzleloading Club and use the BP guns for sporting purposes... and maybe cause they are fun too!!

We have to have competancy training for cartridge weapons before we can apply for licences - I have been waiting for two years already for a .243 licence for hunting and varminting. This is excessive to the max as I own other cartridge weapons already. There is talk of introducing a competancy course for BP. Lets hope not.

Besides all that, we can't really use our guns for self defense anyway, as South African law states that we may only defend ourselves with even/equal force. Ironic really as we are not allowed to own AK47's :youcrazy: :youcrazy: Then there is also the argument that the criminal was standing over your bed with an axe because he was only looking for food, and probably only carried your TV for comfort.

Well, you asked :redface:

Latest posts

Back