• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My NIB CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of the CVA Mountain Rifle without a patch box. The CVA Big Bore in .54 and .58 yes but not an actual standard Mountain Rifle. I wouldn't add the patch box if it were me. I would leave it as it came. Could be one of a kind in fact. I would also double check the bore diameter over what the barrel stampings are if it were me.
I agree that you shouldn't try to add the patch box. That stock has some very pretty figure that might be hidden by the box.

Never heard of the CVA Mountain Rifle without a patch box.

The CVA Big Bore in .54 and .58 yes but not an actual standard Mountain Rifle. I wouldn't add the patch box if it were me.

With my everlasting thanks to fellow board member Grenadier 1758, I found this MR to be a ca. 1990 CVA Premier Grade Mountain Rifle.
Unlike almost all other MRs, this edition has a chrome lined bore.

Note too the Walnut stock, full length cheek, the pewter furniture and Frontier Rifle trigger guard also in pewter.

OOOP's ! ! I had a senior moment above, and should have credited/thanked board member swathdiver instead of Grenadier1758..... 🥵

V1HAPOsl.jpg

That's a nice looking rifle. As stated in an earlier post, this gun resembles CVA's "Big Bore Mountain Rifle distinguished by the absence of a patch box (and a barrel that is 1" across the flats and came in .54 and .58 caliber). They seem to be less prevalent than CVA's Mountain Rifle (with patchbox).
I had a flinter big bore. Nice rifle and the stock was a better than plain grade of maple with a bit of curl here and there. It weighed a smidge under 8#. Shot very well.

I have a 50 caliber CVA that doesn't have a patch box, It is an early model made in the late 60's. USA barrel, Can't prove it, but I understand it could be a Douglas barrel. The old timers have heard of Douglas I imagine. Later CVA 50 caliber on the rack has a patch box, made in Spain. As far as shooting, can't tell much difference.
Both the .54 and .58 CVA mountain rifles didn't have patch boxes. I owned a .54 at one time. My current .50 does. My thought (just a theory) is that perhaps the patches for the .54 and .58 may have been too big around to fit - if you indeed used it for a true patch box.

Latest posts

Back