• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My lock & trigger rebuild

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've checked out the lock & trigger on my "new old" .36 caliber rifle. The lock mainspring is missing and I want to make a new replacement. The set(rear) trigger is missing as is the spring for it. I will try to make those missing parts also.
IMG_20211114_164449584.jpg
IMG_20211114_164107283.jpg
IMG_20211114_164159062.jpg

Hi,
Good for you!! Neither of those jobs are too difficult. Just make sure you have a good plan for hardening and tempering. While you are at it, take this opportunity to clean up that lock, polish the plate and internals so they gleam and function like a good watch.

dave

Wish that gun was mine. I love making parts like that. I use O-1 tool steel a lot for parts like that. Have fun, it will feel great when you accomplish your goal and post the results.

Actually now that I've reexamined the situation, the lock plate isn't actually the right one for the stock. The plate needs material where my index finger is in this pic.
IMG_20211114_175738263_HDR.jpg
Someone had used this lock and filled the gap at the front upper lock. I will either make a new plate, add an "extension", or do a better job of filling the gap with a piece of wood. I also will be making a new side plate for the other side of the stock as the inlet had also been filled with putty and the lock held in place by wood screws.

Wish that gun was mine. I love making parts like that. I use O-1 tool steel a lot for parts like that. Have fun, it will feel great when you accomplish your goal and post the results.
I have a couple of worn out saw blades for the spring material.
If I make a new lock plate, I have some flat brass about the right thickness.

Latest posts

Back