• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my little squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Thirty-five years ago I bought a trim little flintlock .30 caliber rifle which as been my main squirrel rifle. It would be hard to make a better one. The rifle was built by Louis Smith of Johnson City, TN. It has a Wm. "Bill" Large 38" barrel which is 11/16-inch across, straight octagon and has a 1:56" twist. The lock is a Hadaway, made by "Doc" Hadaway in my home town of Louisville, Ky. I've never seen a gun with as many inlays and engravings as it has. It is so slender and trim that first glance makes you think it's a woman's or child's gun, but trigger pull is 13 3/4", overall length is 55" and it fits me very well. Weight is 7 lb., and it hangs well offhand. I shoot mostly .295" balls with .010" patch, sometimes .290". It handles 15 to 30 grains of FFFg well and is my most accurate gun out to about 40 yards. As the old boys used to say, "she will make 'em come!"

Spence

LouisSmithA.jpg

LouisSmithH1.jpg

LouisSmithB.jpg

LouisSmithJ.jpg

LouisSmithN.jpg

LouisSmithO.jpg

LouisSmithR.jpg

LouisSmithU.jpg

Spence,
Most people call them beautiful but that is one Handsome rifle. If it only shoots half as good as it looks those tree rats are in big trouble.
Mark :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: For one of the very few times in my misguided life, I'm speechless. That rifle is where the term "pride in ownership" was meant to be used. Thank you so much for posting the photo's and sharing it with us.

Vern

Thanks, I'm glad you like her. Flintlocks are special, aren't they?

Some more details:
LouisSmithH.jpg

LouisSmithK.jpg

LouisSmithI.jpg

LouisSmithL.jpg

LouisSmithM.jpg

LouisSmithX.jpg

The only negative thing that I have to say about that rifle is "it ain't mine" (and I'm not usually the jealous type).

Vern

That's neat! I bet when them squaks see you coming they get in line just to be shot with that pretty flinter. :thumbsup:

I'm more than a little pleased to hear that you are using that fine rifle for what it was intended for. :hatsoff:

More than one person says when seeing a well decorated rifle like that, "I sure wouldn't use that for hunting! Might scratch it up. Something like that is only good for hanging on a wall!"

As you know, the fancy guns shoot just as accurately as a plain one and they were built to be shot.

Thanks for sharing your gun with us. :)

BOY A perty pup kant even hold a lite on thatn.Shore is perty. I kin taste squirl grave and biscuts rite now. A beauty. Thanks for showing.

Your rifle has really made me decide to look at going this route on my Perdersoli Frontier. Doubt if anything I could do would ever come close to the beauty of yours.

Latest posts

Back