• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My latest build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulTBarton

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a range report target and photo of my latest build. Using the last piece of a H&A .45 cal rifle barrel (long story there). Walnut stock, homemade brass sights, front with windage, rear with elevation. Homemade underhammer lock, lots of hack-sawing and filing there. It was fun to shoot after I figured out how to aim it and adjust the rear sight.
range report picture link
Paul aka BartSr

This is what I love about this forum. You guys f..king build stuff.
Very cool
Andy
Long time firearm builder. First time muzzle loader.

NICE!! Guess I will need to arrange range time with you soon so I can see it up close! Need to get out again soon anyhow, I want to try the long range shoot at 200 next time I get out there.

Love those UH guns, how bout some pic's of lock work etc. Inquiring minds want to know. Great project....Tom

Tom Knight said:
Love those UH guns, how bout some pic's of lock work etc. Inquiring minds want to know. Great project....Tom
Sure, Done. If'n you need more pictures, please holler back.
Lock Pix

Paul, aka BartSr, aka IdeZilla

Thanks for the pic's very nice work. That pistol with the Grn mt. bbl. looks like a Wade Inghram design.

The ring tgr. is one of mine....Tom

When I was young, (1960S) all we could afford were the Numrich Arms, H & A, barrels. We sometimes made our own locks out of necessity. Our guns sometimes had a different look about them but they worked. The Numrich barrels always did their job and shot well. I am glad to see someone resurecting one, as well as making your own design.

Tom,
I would love to see that second lock (ring) in an exploded view. :bow:
Thanks,
Paul, aka BartSr, aka IdeZilla

Big problem----camera went south...When son comes by tonite (to eat mom's cookin') I'll get him to shot some pic's of it. Really quite simple, I cut the plate from 1/2" X 1/2" key stock. The ring is a 1-1/4" steel from Tandy leather, the tgr nose or sear & hammer made up from steel scraps. Main spring from ACE hardware 2-1/2" long X 1/2" dia. I made the tgr spring from a piece of dixie spring stock. Pins are 3/32" hardened from Track wolf. Help ? ....Tom

Disassembled lock. And a copy of a Swiss design 1840. I saw this lock on a pistol by a smith named Correvon. Only 1 known to survive/exist. Is on underhammer society site. So I drew up a plan & messed with it until it worked. Mounted on a 20 bore, really great for wing shooting. It's double action-no need to cock it, it does that all by its self....Note the hook on tgr, it engages one on the hammer. Like your 2 trigger fingers hooked together. As you pull tgr. the hook pulls down on hammer hook until they slip over each other---bang !

click on pic to see a hand made "Hilliard" from Vermont prototype. Comments please...Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the really great pictures. I would love to make that one for myself. :bow:

Yes that's a copy of the "Correvon", one I had at one time started to make, but did not get past the "drawings". Apparently it was not big enough to see how it could work. :doh:

Thanks again,
Paul, aka BartSr (BartSenior), aka IdeZilla.

I've made up 2 "Correvon's" 1 on the 20 bore & another on a .50 cal. belt pistol. Tell the truth I fudged a little. I used a computer program for drawing and drew it out full scale, changing it as I went to get the pieces to work right. Then I printed it and cut out a pattern. I have drawn them up on graph paper as well and made patterns that way. Not being able to see inside the original I went with a coil spring, they really pop a cap..Give it a go.....Tom

Here's my "Correvon" pistol. .50 cal, without sights, 10yds. MySite
corr_rr1.jpg

"Correvon" is it ? Thats something, I saw the origonal on a site few yr. back and actually made two, a pistol & a 20 bore. Great idea simple and double action. We could start a Correvon fan club....Tom

Tom Knight said:
"Correvon" is it ? ......
We could start a Correvon fan club....Tom

Sure, why not, they are so simple,
and the trigger pull is not as bad as I thought. :bow:

Paul aka BartSr aka IdeZilla

Wow, those are so cool! :bow: Any chance you two could make a thread in the photos section of all your neat underhammers?

Could you tell us more about the trigger pull on your all's Correvons? It seems like it might be long and slightly "loopy".

It is long for a target type gun, but for a shotgun, where you actually "slap" the trigger(read jerk) on wing shooting---it's great. Double action, quick to swing and fire. I really like my little 26" 20 bore gun. 4 lb. Tom

@Eisenhammer,
The first "Correvon" has too much space between the trigger and the grip. Tough to hang on to. The second one is too close and tends to bang my knuckles when firing, that hurts. Either one has a long trigger pull, not for target shooting but as Tom states would be great for a shotgun or smoothie. The trigger pull starts out easy and tightens up as you reach let-off. Then it goes without warning, not bad for a prototype. Since there is a safe hammer position it's not likely to be accidentaly fired in the field. I have started a build page for the mule-hammered rifle on Mule-Hammered-Rifle

Hmmm, maybe that second one could be my next shotgun action, repurposed. :wink:

Back