• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flintlock Match Rifle Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my latest build from scratch. I built it for occassional hunting and for shooting in the flintlock matches. It is a fine piece of walnut wood and the hardware is brass. The rear sight is an adjustable Kensight and the front a standard blade. The 36" barrel is a 50 caliber Green Mountain, 1" across the flats, 1-70 twist. The lock is the Mike Miller designed, Buck Ridge produced Late Ketland they recently came out with and I really like it so far. It is very fast and smooth. The triggers are Bob Roller produced. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG

What does that piece of brass nailed on the side do?
It has two functions or actually three. First, it helps cover where a ragged piece of wood got ripped out by an over aggressive wood rasp and I did not want to try to patch it. I don't believe a wood patch could have been successfully installed due to the irregular shape of the piece and with this stock, any wood inlay repair would have been very noticeable. Second, it covers a whole lot of lead that has been added to give weight to the butt stock. Third, it is meant to make others wonder what is it? I thought long and hard about adding the fake patch box lid and decided it would drive people to all kinds of conclusions.

So it is a patch box lid that has been screwed on and has a special key to open it. The key is secured inside the lid.

Mike, it is the best fix I could come up with. And I was able to add even more weight which is very important to me. I do not have any use for a real patch box, so I decided to make the best I could of the situation. Other than that, it is a piece of brass on the butt stock to cover a bad tear and a lot of lead. If you can help me come up with a better answer, I would sure appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back